1. poireau Senior Member

English, USA
    Bonjour,

Qu'est-ce que c'est que "Pil Poil"

j'ai presque pris 10kg! C'est PIL POIL depuis que je suis j'ai presque pris 10kg! C'est pil poil depuis que je suis ...

Merci beaucoup!

2. DDT

DDT Senior Member

Paris, France
    Italy - Italian
    I'd suggest "exactly" (please notice that the phrase you wrote doesn't look that correct, "depuis que je suis" should be folllowed by something else)

DDT

3. RuK Senior Member

Outside Paris
    English/lives France
    It should be pile-poil, I think, and it means "exactly".

You might say "J'ai pris presque dix kilos en six mois, ça correspond pile-poil à mon séjour en France" (I've put on ten kilos in six months, exactly the amount of time I spent in France).

4. poireau Senior Member

English, USA
    Merci beaucoup, cette phrase viens d'un Francais. Alors, j'y peux rien :) Je cherche a comprendre c'est tout.

phrase vient.

5. black_winny New Member

France, french
    Hello everybody!

Pile-poil is an argotic, a slang expression.

There isn't really any argotic equivalent in English or in American style?

Something in the kind of "Bang-on !" or "Spot-on !" or "In the bull's eye !" for example, which are somewhat equivalent to "Dans le mille !" meaning that if the guy was a gun user he would have shot exactly in the center of the target.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  6. JClaudeK

JClaudeK Senior Member

Paris
    Français France Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    I wouldn't say "argotic/ slang", it's just colloquial. No child using "pile-poil" would be blamed!

7. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

8. black_winny New Member

France, french
    Here are three examples that I'll have to use in three short novels in the next weeks:

First example:

- Georges est arrivé à l'heure à son mariage ?
    - Pile-poil ! Pour une fois la mariée n'a pas eu à attendre !

Second example:

Sophie et Nathalie sont "montées à Paris" pour faire des emplettes ensemble à la ville. Monique essaie sa huitième paire de chaussures chez le marchand, et la vendeuse commence à perdre patience.

Nathalie :
    - Elle ne sont pas trop serrées ? Comment elles te vont ?
    Sophie :
    - Pile-poil !

Third and last example:

"Hier, monsieur le commissaire, nous sommes allés à la pêche au brochet. Ce n'est pas évident à pêcher, le brochet, vous savez, car il faut que la météo ne soit ni trop chaude ni trop froide, ni trop sèche ni trop humide. Et hier le temps était pile-poil, ce qui nous a assuré une belle pêche !"

Here are the three contexts more precisely:

If in the three cases the situations are different (it is three different short novels of about 50 pages each). But in the three cases the characters must talk with a very familiar language, because each situation is located in the countryside by people who are stupid or very simple minds and who not at all city dwellers (these are the two main common points required by my publisher for the six novels which will be gathered in the book).

In the first example George is 65 years old, he is very slow and extremely lazy (even his own wedding is a terrible day for him so he needs to spend some time to drink in the cafe of the village in order to reach enough courage... and he marries today for the fourth time of his life!).

In the second example, Sophie and Nathalie are stupid young women (and they are sisters) who both have never managed to marry (in addition Sophie can't never resist to cold meats and to patisseries so she is a very fat woman in the kind of, say... Beru's wife for those who read and like San-Antonio's novels) and who have decided to quit their countryside for only one day to buy clothes because they are invited to a baptism for very soon. And the city (Paris) is a "high class" town seen from their two stupid minds.

And in the third example, two men of about 40 years old are explaining to a police superintendent what they did yesterday when the body of a man has been found floating at the edge of the river near the village (they are not culprits but will have many difficulties to explain what they did that day because they should had thrown a sickie to their boss while they simply wanted to profit of the day... too bad for them it was the day of a crime).

So... if there are differences in the art to express this "Pile-poil" French expression in these three situations, I would be very happy to know them.
    :)

9. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Unfortunately I can't think of a single translation that fits all three.

Time: (right) on the dot! (might be specific to US English)

Fit of a shoe and the weather: Perfect! It doesn't have that informal feel, but it's not excessively highbrow, either. Maybe somebody else will have an inspiration.

10. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

In addition to Kelly's suggestions:

Fit of any clothing: Fits like a glove! (Can be said of a shoe, a dress, a coat, but probably... not of a glove!)

Timing: It went off ike clockwork! (timing of an event)
    or You can set your watch to him ( = He's always on time).