Pillola informativa

fcabitza

Italian
Hi all, how would you translate the expression "pillola informativa"?

A similar thread (http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1750562) did not clarify the topic, in my opinion (although a pillola informativa is not necessarily "di approfondimento" - in depth - rather it is the opposite).

Here is a definition that should provide you with the necessary context:

Le pillole informative sono schede realizzate da una redazione o da un gruppo di esperti cultori della materia. In ciascuna di esse, solitamente compresa nello spazio di una pagina e impaginata in maniera accattivante, è descritto un tema o un argomento in maniera molto sintetica e con un linguaggio semplificato, adatto cioè ad una consultazione agile e che permetta di farsi un'idea di un certo argomento tecnico molto velocemente.

My tentative translation is "informative pill" but I am unsure that the concept that in Italian is conveyed by the term "pill" (both "it is as easy to consult as it is to swallow a pill" and "as short as a pill") is to be rendered that literally...

Thank you for any help.

• Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    I would use 'presentation'. If you want to give it an idea of conciseness you could use 'brief or short'.

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Your question made me think of a book I bought in USA years ago.

So I'd like to suggest, to render your sentence literally:

Informative capsules

capsule |ˈkapsəl; ˈkapˌsoōl|
    noun
    • [as adj. ] figurative (of a piece of writing) shortened but retaining the essence of the original; condensed : a capsule review of the movie.

I am not sure about "informative", maybe "information capsules" sounds better.

Let's see what others say.

Last edited:

fcabitza

Italian
    I would use 'presentation'. If you want to give it an idea of conciseness you could use 'brief or short'.

Thank you Siberia. No doubt a "pillola informativa" is a short presentation of a subject or topic. Yet, this is not a very poignant way to call it;).
    Rather, I am looking for a "trademark" term, like "informative pill" or, thank you Lorena1970, "informative capsule".

The point is: if Discovery Channel were to create a very short programme, just 3 minutes, in which the essential points of a matter are presented to the general public (like the greenhouse effect, or swine flu) how would these 3 minutes be called, more likely (something like "spot"?). Fine. What if these short presentations were to be produced for the web or a printed magazine...?
    That name would be a perfect way to denote a "pillola informativa"!
    Any clue? :)

Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    Information clip is already in the jargon but are you asking for a new word?

fcabitza

Italian
    Information clip is already in the jargon but are you asking for a new word?

No no, I was asking precisely what was already in the jargon (but that I was ignoring, at least until your post).

Information clip is probably the best way to translate "pillola informativa" and you've just made my day! :)

By the way, would you find the expression "informative pill/capsule" totally awkward or it could be taken easily (that is without any dizzy flight of fancy) as a synonym of "information clip"?

rrose17

Canada, English
    Information capsule is fine. Information pill is not. Informative doesn't work. In jargon is would probably be shortened to Info capsule or Info clip.

Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    Informative pill/capsule sounds like the truth serum to my ears but maybe to others it might not. Let's see what others think.