pin the tail on the donkey

Wookie

Korea, Korean
You guys hear lies and rumors about me from L.A.
You know how much the captain depends on me. So you figure let's get rid of him.
I'll lawyer up before I let you pin the tail on the new donkey.

What does "pin the tail on the donkey" mean here?
I don't think it has much to do with on of the games that children play.

• JamesM

I would imagine that this is a play on words related to "pinning" something on someone (as in framing them for something they didn't do) combined with "donkey" as an image of a stupid beast.

I think he's saying that he will get a lawyer before he'll ever let them set him up to be accused for something he didn't do.

It's a little difficult to say without knowing the plot of the film you're talking about.

Wookie

Korea, Korean
    I would imagine that this is a play on words related to "pinning" something on someone (as in framing them for something they didn't do) combined with "donkey" as an image of a stupid beast.

I think he's saying that he will get a lawyer before he'll ever let them set him up to be accused for something he didn't do.

It's a little difficult to say without knowing the plot of the film you're talking about.
    I know there's a children's game called "Pin the tail on the donkey."
    But I don't know about the game well.
    Does it have anything to do with this?
    It makes me think that the expression has something to do with the game, figuratively.

JamesM

In "Pin the tail on the donkey", a picture of a donkey is tacked up on the wall. Each child in turn is blindfolded, handed a paper "tail", spun around to disorient him, and then released to try to walk to the wall and pin the tail on the donkey.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with this text you've quoted other than using it as the foundation of a play on words.

Forero

Typically, the donkey gets tails pinned on in odd places such as on the ear or under the belly. The child who has pinned closest to the correct place for a donkey's tail is the winner of the game.

I agree that it does not seem to have much direct connection. I will add that police have their own jargon, and this may be an example.

< Previous | Next >