Pinche (para el pelo, en Chile)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by palfergoy, Jun 19, 2009.

1. palfergoy Senior Member

UK
    Español, Chile
    En Chile le decimos pinche a los accesorios que se ocupan para amarrar el pelo, no los colets o coletas, sino a los más elaborados.

Incluso hay unos que se conocen como "tiburones" que son como un clip con dientes que apretan el pelo y lo mantienen amarrado.

No se si alguien puede ayudarme con las palabras en ingles para estos artefactos (pinche y tiburones)... desde ya muchas gracias :)

2. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    All of these are hair clips.

At least what came up when I google-imaged the phrase. We have distinct vocabulary for some of them, as I'm sure you do as well, such as the peine, comb. Some of them I would call "barrettes", for example [the first image]. Maybe you can illustrate what you mean by "pinche". Obviously the "tiburon" is the last image, and those --in my vernacular-- are simply called hair clips.

3. palfergoy Senior Member

UK
    Español, Chile
    That is so perfect!!!!!!!

The first and second images are clearly what we call "pinches" (there are not especific names for all of them I think... or at least I dont know one)
    and the "hair clips" are definitely what I call "tiburones" :)

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  4. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    (there are 3 sets of images "all" and "of these" got run together by the underscore)

5. palfergoy Senior Member

UK
    Español, Chile
    Yes I notice that thanks!

6. SevenDays Senior Member

Spanish
    And so I asked mi sobrina about pinches and tiburones and what followed was a 10-minute dissertation about hair accessories......Apparently, it is serious business, and there are various types of clips and pins.
    She suggested this link, which may be helpful (look to the right side column, under "hair accessories").
    http://mp.hairboutique.com/Hair-Accessories/C/116
    Cheers

By the way, it appears tiburones are "claw clips." Who comes up with these names...?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  7. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    Sorry to be dumb, but I might want to know someday ... picture 1, are what I'd call barrettes. Picture 2, is the one with the comb. Picture 3, hair clips and tiburones. Which one is the pinche?

8. palfergoy Senior Member

UK
    Español, Chile
    "Pinche" is a general name for almost all hair accessories

9. palfergoy Senior Member

UK
    Español, Chile
    Please tell your niece that she is a charm!

I looked on ebay (since I want to buy some of this "tiburones" and I have not been able to find them on the high street) and the "claw clip" work perfectly to find them ("hair clip" seems to be too wide term)
    I also found that "hair clamp" seems to be another word used for the "tiburones"

10. raulv04 Member

San Luis Potosi, Mexico
    Mexican Spanish
    At least in Mexico we would avoid the word "pinche" since it is an expletive. In Mexico, these are called "pinzas" or "pinzas para el cabello".