pinetum

Haffmann

Swedish
How do you say "pinetum" (which in English is an arboretum of pines and coniferous trees or means "pine grove") in Polish?

• jasio

I've encountered only ogród dendrologiczny, dendrarium and arboretum. I've never heard of a more specific term for pine trees only. "Ogród botaniczny" on the other hand is a more general term, including a collection of all sorts of plants.

I've googled "pinetum" in Polish texts, but it was a part of Latin names referring to natural formations, such as las iglasty or bór - but in Polish such formations are typically named by the dominating species of trees, like las sosnowy, las świerkowy, las jodłowy.

Last edited:

zaffy

Polish
    Diki.pl says pinetum is an area where pine or other coniferous trees are grown. I don't know if Diki is right, though. If so, such places are called a 'szkółka leśna'. However, in a 'szkółka leśna', any kind of tree can be grown.

jasio

Diki.pl says pinetum is an area where pine or other coniferous trees are grown. I don't know if Diki is right, though. If so, such places are called a 'szkółka leśna'. However, in a 'szkółka leśna', any kind of tree can be grown.
    The question is, what "diki.pl" precisely understands as "grow". In a forest nursery (if I figured out the term correctly) you typically grow seedlings and young trees, while as far as I am aware, the term "grow" is not limited to these phases of a plant development.

I asked google what it thinks about 'pinetum' and it demonstrated a whole range of landscapes, including forests, English-style gardens, French-style gardens, wilderness, down to individual tree branches with pins and cones (pinetum - Google Search).

Perhaps the OP could finally provide a specific context and explain in greater deatails what he's up to.

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    According to Wikipedia the pinetum is a specific arboretum ("an arboretum specializing in growing conifers is known as a pinetum").

In Czech I should say: borové/sosnové arboretum

A pine grove in Czech: borový/sosnový háj or simply bor (it is not an arboretum/pinetum, of course)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >