pinning the tail on the donkey

alahay

US
Phoenicia
I need your help on this. I'm pretty familiar with the pinning the tail on the donkey game but I'm not sure about the expression. This is more context if need it: "did ya know, u eva pin the tail on the donkey sorta speak?".

Thanks,
Al

• grumpus

English U.S.
    alahay said:
    I need your help on this. I'm pretty familiar with the pinning the tail on the donkey game but I'm not sure about the expression. This is more context if need it: "did ya know, u eva pin the tail on the donkey sorta speak?".

Thanks,
    Al
    Hi Al,
    no I don't understand this at all. I would guess

did ya know, u eva pin the tail on the donkey sorta speak? = did you know, you ever pin the tail on the donkey sort of speak?

What this means, who knows???

Grumpus

mateitop

UK, English
    Pin the Tail on the Donkey is a childrens' party game, where you have to "guess" where the 'tail' (a piece of tail-shaped paper with a pin attached) should naturally go on the tail-less donkey - a picture or cut-out of a donkey, with no tail. The idea of the game is to get the tail in the correct position, secured using the pin, without actually seeing (you are blindfolded).

Figuratively, I would imagine this means something similar to "Take a shot in the dark" or something. However looking at the phrase in context, it seems to have sexual connotations. That's a complete shot in the dark. ;-)

fenixpollo

American English
    I agree with mateitop. If the person wanted to know if you had played "pin the tail on the donkey", he/she would have asked.

edit: The way this person writes indicates that he/she might think that "sorta speak" is the correct way to spell "so to speak".

By saying "so to speak", it is a red flag that says that "pin the tail on the donkey" is a euphemism for something else... that is, sex.

< Previous | Next >