pinpoint/trace

Pidginboy

India-Local dialect
I am engaged in a minor research on the employees to find out the employees of which age group are more satisfied, more empowered, more stressed etc. in their jobs. The research outcome finally pins down (specifies) a specific age bracket which is most affected by job's positive and negative interventions.

What is right verb here? (like 'pinpointing age group that is most satisfied' or 'tracing the age bracket that is most empowered' etc.)

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    I'd say "identifies."

Also, it's the research that identifies that age group, not the research outcome. The research outcome is that identification, but identifying (or any other verb) the age group refers to the process, not its result.

As for the rest of your sentence, I don't know what sort of interventions you mean, so I can't suggest an alternative to "affected," "satisfied" or "empowered." They mean different things, but you haven't provided enough information to choose among them or suggest another one.

sdgraham

USA English
    I am engaged in a minor research on the employees to find out the employees of which age group are more satisfied, more empowered, more stressed etc. in their jobs. The research outcome finally pins down (specifies) a specific age bracket which is most affected by job's positive and negative interventions.
    I think your original statement is fine and see no need to change it.

Pidginboy

India-Local dialect
    Egmont (Thanks, Egmont) says it is identification of age group. How about 'pin down' or 'pinpoint' or 'trace'?

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Egmont (Thanks, Egmont) says it is identification of age group. How about 'pin down' or 'pinpoint' or 'trace'?
    Absolutely not "trace." Its meaning does not fit here.

The other two mean that the age group was known in general before, but that your research has narrowed it down. For example, it may have been previously known that something applies to people aged 20 to 39, but your research has determined that it really applies only to people aged 28 to 32. Unless that is your meaning, do not use them.

< Previous | Next >