Pinyin: spacing, capitalization, punctuation

sbradshaw

English - USA
Hi, I'm digitizing a songbook and I'm trying to add proper spacing, capitalization, and punctuation to a paragraph in pinyin.

This is what the book says:
zhǔ shì wǒ di mù yáng rén wǒ bì bù quē fá
主是我的牧羊人,我必不缺乏,
wèi wǒ zài qīng cǎo dì ān xí zài yáng lán
餵我在青草地,安息在羊欄。
tā lǐng wǒ di líng hún dào shuǐ biān ān xiē
祂領我的靈魂,到水邊安歇,
shǐ wǒ zǒu chū mí tú tuō lí le kǔ nàn
使我走出迷途,脫離了苦難;
shǐ wǒ zǒu chū mí tú tuō lí le kǔ nàn
使我走出迷途,脫離了苦難。

On Wikipedia, it says that each line of a poem should be capitalized, and also that Western commas and periods should be used. So, I changed it to this:
Zhǔ shì wǒ di mù yáng rén, wǒ bì bù quē fá,
Wèi wǒ zài qīng cǎo dì, ān xí zài yáng lán.
Tā lǐng wǒ di líng hún, dào shuǐ biān ān xiē,
Shǐ wǒ zǒu chū mí tú, tuō lí le kǔ nàn;
Shǐ wǒ zǒu chū mí tú, tuō lí le kǔ nàn.

Wikipedia also says that I should sometimes combine syllables to form words, which (as a non-Chinese speaker) I'm not sure how to do, but someone I know should be able to help with that.

That leaves me with two questions:

1) Should Western colons, semi-colons, quotation marks, and parentheses be used, the same as Western periods and commas? Wikipedia says "All other punctuation marks are the same as the ones used in normal texts." Does that mean I should use full-width colons, semi-colons, quotation marks, and parentheses?

2) If I use Western punctuation, should I use Western spacing as well; i.e. should I say:
"Zhè tiáo xīn jiè mìng : yào bǐ cǐ xiāng ài ."
or
"Zhè tiáo xīn jiè mìng: yào bǐ cǐ xiāng ài."
?

Thanks for your help! Sorry for anything that may not be clear; this is my first time posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • brofeelgood

English, 中文
    If you google Psalm 23 Chinese Pinyin, you'll find websites that already have the verses in pinyin.

BTW, which version of the bible are you trying to translate? In your quoted phrases,

- "He maketh me to lie down in green pastures" is shown as "He feeds me in the green pastures, resting in a sheep fold"

- "He leadeth me beside the still waters." is shown as "He leads my soul to rest by the waters"

sbradshaw

English - USA
    If you google Psalm 23 Chinese Pinyin, you'll find websites that already have the verses in pinyin.

BTW, which version of the bible are you trying to translate? In your quoted phrases,

- "He maketh me to lie down in green pastures" is shown as "He feeds me in the green pastures, resting in a sheep fold"

- "He leadeth me beside the still waters." is shown as "He leads my soul to rest by the waters"
    The quote is from a songbook (耶穌基督後期聖徒教會聖詩選輯, No. 58/196) which paraphrases the Psalm. Because it's set to music it's not the exact words.