pip the record

< Previous | Next >
  • Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    It means to get ahead of in this context. The word "record" isn't a noun here but an adjective describing the eleven-time winners. That team set a record by winning a particular trophy eleven times.

(Your link leads to several articles. Could you link to the specific one you quoted from, please?)

waytogoal

Portuguese (Brazil) and English
    Hi Barque, Thanks for answering.

So pip maybe is talking about the Bundesliga championship that the German side is about to win the 11 title. So in this case pip would it be like : win/conquer. I tried to find this verb pip on the Internet to fit the context but I cound'nt find a good meaning .

Look at this link > sport news Real Madrid v Dortmund, UEFA Champions League LIVE score: Follow the action

Most of the context:

Two European heavyweights collide on the final day of group stage action in the UEFA Champions League as Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund face off at the Bernabeu.

Both teams are already through to the last-16 of Europe's premier club competition but Group F's top spot is still up for grabs in the Spanish capital, with the German side currently on course to pip the record 11 time winners.

Zinedine Zidane's side must win to finish above the Bundesliga outfit and secure a favourable seeded place in the knock-out phase. Follow all the action here with SAM MORSHEAD.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    So pip maybe is talking about the Bundesliga championship that the German side is about to win the 11 title.
    No, it's the other side, Real Madrid, who are eleven-time winners (of the Champions League).
    ...as Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund face off at the Bernabeu...Group F's top spot is still up for grabs in the Spanish capital, with the German side currently on course to pip the record 11 time winners.
    The word "pip" here means that Borussia Dortmund is on course to get the top spot in Group F ahead of Real Madrid, who have won the Champions League eleven times, which is a record.

waytogoal

Portuguese (Brazil) and English
    Oh Yes man ..now I understood the context by your explanation.

"with the German side currently on course to pip the record 11 time winners."

So, the German side (Borussia) is on the course to pip (defeat / get the top spot) the record 11 time winners. (referring to Real Madrid who have won the Champions League eleven times, which is a record)

Vanda (from the Forum in Portuguese) posted pip : British to defeat (an opponent).

That's it man. Thanks for helping me to understand the context and the term.

< Previous | Next >