Pirate production house casts

< Previous | Next >

october15

Portugal-Portuguese
This is a tough one:

Context:

But this is the time of total media, of universal content provision, wiki-vision. A bespoke pirate production house casts it pay-per-view to twelve million pairs of I-shades.

This is science-fiction: They are talking about reality shows depicting vigilantes chasing criminals life, along with this TV star. The I-shades are this special digital shades everyone wears as a mobile phone.

The plot is in São Paulo - Brasil.

I cannot understand the last sentence. The "house casts it" is confusing me.

Anyone?

october15

• Lexiphile

England English
    Not really so tough...
    A "production house" would be a company (probably) that makes these multi-media productions.

A "pirate production house" would be one that is using material belonging to someone else (as in pirate copies of music-CDs and films).

A "bespoke pirate production house" is one that does this to order for a specific customer, rather than just in the hope of being able to sell the product [note that this contradicts the rest of the sentence, since the thing was made available to 12 million viewers].

To "cast" is a bit like "to throw" or "to distribute." [why this is in the simple present tense is not clear -- it seems to be describing a distribution that is actually happening, which is unusual in a story.]

I presume you understand "pay per view."

So this gang of crooks is distributing a pirated multi-media production to 12 million viewers and making them each pay when they watch it.

october15

Portugal-Portuguese
    You are right. Now I fully understand the sentence. It's like it was there but I couldn't see it right away.

Thanks.

october15

< Previous | Next >