pirate vs. pirated

< Previous | Next >

Chinese Su

Chinese
1. "British Navy confirms rescue of pirated ship in Gulf of Aden"
British Navy confirms rescue of pirated ship in Gulf of Aden - CNN.com
"Just then four other pirate ships began to approach them.’
pirate | Definition of pirate in English by Oxford Dictionaries

Q1 What's the difference between pirated ship and pirate ship? :confused: Thank you :)

2. "Did you know the profit margins on pirate CDs are higher than cocaine?"
pirate | Definition of pirate in English by Oxford Dictionaries
"He cautioned people to stop buying pirated CDs because this is illegal as it deprives local musicians of their hard-won royalties." Man Arrested forPirating Namibian Music

Q2 What's the difference between pirated CDs and pirate CDs ? :confused: Thank you :)

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    A pirate ship is a ship that is operated by pirates.
    I've never heard of a "pirated ship", but since it was "rescued", I suppose it's a ship that was captured by pirates.

I've never heard of "pirate CDs", but I suppose it means "pirated CDs".
    Pirated CDs are CDs that are copies made illegally.

You are right to question. The terms are being used inconsistently.

Myridon

English - US
    Pirates sailing on the ship they own are on a pirate ship (the type of ship that pirates have). When they steal a ship, it's a pirated ship (a ship stolen by pirates).
    Being pedantic, "pirate CDs" is not correct unless it's a CD of Long John Silver singing "Yo, Ho, Ho and a Bottle of Rum."

Chinese Su

Chinese
    Pirate ship: ship belonging to pirates. Pirated ship: ship which has been taken over by pirates.
    A pirate ship is a ship that is operated by pirates.
    I've never heard of a "pirated ship", but since it was "rescued", I suppose it's a ship that was captured by pirates.

I've never heard of "pirate CDs", but I suppose it means "pirated CDs".
    Pirated CDs are CDs that are copies made illegally.

You are right to question. The terms are being used inconsistently.
    Pirates sailing on the ship they own are on a pirate ship (the type of ship that pirates have). When they steal a ship, it's a pirated ship (a ship stolen by pirates).
    Being pedantic, "pirate CDs" is not correct unless it's a CD of Long John Silver singing "Yo, Ho, Ho and a Bottle of Rum."
    Thank you so much for your lucid explanations, London calling, Cenzontle, and Myridon :D

I am a little confused about the use of "pirate CDs" though... Are these dictionaries misleading? :(

pirate CD/DVD/software
    pirate movies/music/goods
    pirate copy/download
    pirate Meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

— often used before another noun
    • pirate videotapes/CDs/software
    • pirate translations
    www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/pirate

(often used as an adjective) a person who makes illegal copies of DVDs, computer programs, books, etc., in order to sell them e.g. a pirate edition
    pirate_1 noun - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

kentix

English - U.S.
    There was another thread where someone was talking bout "faked" goods, i.e. counterfeit goods.

I thought that sounded weird because I would only say fake goods. "It's a fake Gucci handbag." not "It's a faked Gucci handbag."

But a pirate CD sounds weird to me. In that case, I'd only call it a pirated CD. :rolleyes:

london calling

UK English
    There was another thread where someone was talking bout "faked" goods, i.e. counterfeit goods.

I thought that sounded weird because I would only say fake goods. "It's a fake Gucci handbag." not "It's a faked Gucci handbag."

But a pirate CD sounds weird to me. In that case, I'd only call it a pirated CD. :rolleyes:
    I'd say 'fake goods' as well, not 'faked goods'.

Chinese Su

Chinese

I'd say 'fake goods' as well, not 'faked goods'.
    Fair enough, thank you Kentix and London calling :D

a fake Gucci handbag :thumbsup: , a faked Gucci handbag :cross:
    a pirated CD :thumbsup:, (a pirate CD is acceptable in BE o_O)

< Previous | Next >