piscine à balles

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by TiTia_43, Mar 6, 2009.

1. TiTia_43 Senior Member

France-French
    "Piscine à balles" which can be found in leisure center for example.

How do you say that in English? Swimming pool full of balls ? I don't know if there's an idiomatic expression in English.

Need your help.

2. Victoria Plums Member

Velaux, France
    France, French
    I'd say a "ball pool"

3. frenchboy Senior Member

England
    Pool of balls? Or ball pool... I'm struggling to imagine this - can you give the context or describe this a little more? Thanks.

4. DrD

DrD Senior Member

Cantal, France
    England English
    It's a ball pool - assuming you mean one of those large containers filled with small balls for kids to play in...

5. TiTia_43 Senior Member

France-French
    Yeah, that's it, for kids. I've also found: ball pits ?

6. DrD

DrD Senior Member

Cantal, France
    England English
    I've never heard of that. The standard expression in the UK is definitely ball pool - I've even been in one (of course, I was a lot younger at the time ;)). It works nicely in English because it rhymes.

It's possible that other anglophone countries might say 'pits' though - I just had a quick look on Google and I think all the results it returned for 'ball pit' were American websites. So I guess it depends who you're translating for.

7. TiTia_43 Senior Member

France-French
    Ok, thanks a lot :)

8. toban

toban Senior Member

Québec
    English - Canada
    In Canadian English, I've heard "ball pit" but never "ball pool" (so presumably the latter is BE and the former is North American).

J'ai vu « Bain de balles » au Québec. J'ai fait une recherche sur Google et j'ai trouvé beaucoup plus de sites avec "bain à balles" qu'avec "bain de balles". Est-ce que les deux se disent? Est-ce qu'il s'agit d'une variation régionale?