pissed off to start with

user_gary

Banned
India - Hindi
He'd kept me waiting for an hour so I was pissed off to start with.

I know, pissed off = annoyed.

So the sentence become, .............. I was annoysed to start with.

But still I can't understand this sentence.

Could anyone help me?

• volky

Spanish/English

Could anyone help me?

Here the definition:

pissed off :annoyed, irritated, miffed, nettled, peeved, pissed, , riled, roiled, steamed, stunng
    aroused to impatience or anger; "made an irritated gesture"; "feeling nettled from the constant teasing"; "peeved about being left out"; "felt really pissed at her snootiness"; "riled no end by his lies"; "roiled by the delay"

The person was irritated because he was left waiting for over an hour. So he was already mad, prior getting together with the other person that had him/her waiting.

liliput

U.K. English
    You have to look at the context. The creator of this sentence is probably telling an anecdote about someone who had annoyed him or failed to impress him and he is going to follow this sentence with more things that annoyed him.
    "...so I was pissed off to start with. Then he stood on my toe, which got me even more annoyed. As if that wasn't enough, he hadn't brought any money so I had to pay for the meal...etc., etc."
    Another way of writing your sentence would be;
    "I was already annoyed because I'd been waiting for an hour."
    I hope this helps.

Trinibeens

NYC
    U.S. English

The writer was annoyed before the person arrived, because he had been waiting for an hour. The writer is telling you what his mood was at the time of the person's arrival ("to start with") to help you understand the events that follow immediately after the person arrives.

In other words, when he started the encounter with the other person, he was already annoyed.

Trinibeens

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)

Could anyone help me?

I guess you are having problem with "to start with"

Try and imagine this:
    You had a fight with your best friend, and your roomate asked you what happened. After listening to you, your roomate told you that you shouldn't have been so rude to your best friend.

So you replied: He'd kept me waiting for an hour so I was pissed off to start with. It means that you were already very upset even before any conversation between your best friend and you took place.

You can also say: "to begin with" instead of "to start with"

volky

Spanish/English
    You have to look at the context. The creator of this sentence is probably telling an anecdote about someone who had annoyed him or failed to impress him and he is going to follow this sentence with more things that annoyed him.
    "...so I was pissed off to start with. Then he stood on my toe, which got me even more annoyed. As if that wasn't enough, he hadn't brought any money so I had to pay for the meal...etc., etc."
    Another way of writing your sentence would be;
    "I was already annoyed because he I'd been waiting for an hour."
    I hope this helps.

Lilliput,

What an imagination!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't knew this was all implied in Gary's sentence. :)rolleyes::p:D Just kidding :))