<pitch it strong> vs exaggerate

ViB_Eng

Russian
Hello, everyone,

I have the phrase "There is no need to exaggerate the part played in the creation of the Bolshevism and in the actual bringing about of the Russian Revolution by these international and for the most part atheistical Jews.", here is a link Winston Churchill Quote

Please answer my questions!
What do you think, can "pitch it strong" be used instead of "exaggerate"?
If an answer is "No", please bring some examples with the "pitch it strong", when does it use?

Thank you

• ViB_Eng

Russian
    No, sorry, and I have never heard the phrase "pitch it strong" used anywhere.
    And even it? Here is the context below

Yes, I said that ‘Rosie M. Banks’ was your pen-name, and you didn’t want it generally known, because you were a modest, retiring sort of chap. He’ll listen to you now. Absolutely hang on your words. A brightish idea, what? I doubt if Jeeves in person could have thought up a better one than that. Well, pitch it strong, old lad, and keep steadily before you the fact that I must have my allowance raised. I can’t possibly marry on what I’ve got now. If this film is to end with the slow fade-out on the embrace, at least double is indicated. Well, that’s that. Cheerio!”

Madame Eulalie - The Strand (UK)

Although the Russian dictionary the "pitch it strong" is interpreted as a verb "exaggerate", therefore as I think I brought for example like that here is Fox Upfront Presentation 2015 Live Blog

If you have other answers (ideas) or examples, or even comments to the "pitch it strong" (i.e. for example "pitch it strong" can't to as a verb "exaggerate", but can us as....)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In American English, "pitch it" means "throw the ball" in a sport, and metaphorically it means "sell it, using your words" to a salesman giving a live presentation to a customer. Your Fox News example uses that meaning. Your "Madame Eulalie" quotation is from what year? The Strand stopped publication in 1950. The "early works of Wodehouse" would be around 100 years ago. So I don't think it reflects modern usage.

Bur before we decide on a substitute for "exaggerate" we need to know what "exaggerate" means in this quote from Churchill. A substitute must have the same meaning. I can see two obvious meanings (there may be others):

(1) "There is no need to exaggerate the part played" = we should not over-emphasize the part they played, because <what reason?>

(2) "There is no need to exaggerate the part played" = they played a huge part, and that is extremely obvious: there is no need to exaggerate it at all, for it to be clear.

I think the meaning is (2): they played a huge part. If you want to replace "exaggerate", you really need to replace the whole phrase.

I don't see how a salesman giving a "pitch" fits either meaning.

< Previous | Next >