Pitch N Putt <vs> mini-golf

< Previous | Next >

panzerfaust0

mandarin
Hello. Can someone tell me if these two things, "pitch n putt" and "mini-golf" are the same thing?

Context: At the top of our building there is a mini-golf course where people can tee off and have fun with their friends and families.

Context 2: In the Central Park in Burnaby, there is a Pitch N Putt place where people can play and practice their putting.

Thanks.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    They are different things.

A "pitch n putt" is like a normal golf course, except that the distance from each starting tee to its green is 50 meters, instead of 450 meters. So you get to the green in one stroke (instead of 2 or 3), then putt as normal.

A "mini-golf" or "miniature golf" course is not like a golf course. You only putt. You putt on a narrow strip with wooden walls around it. There are different obstacles for each hole. Here are some pictures:

mini-golf-1.jpg minigolf-2.jpg

panzerfaust0

mandarin
    They are different things.

A "pitch n putt" is like a normal golf course, except that the distance from each starting tee to its green is 50 meters, instead of 450 meters. So you get to the green in one stroke (instead of 2 or 3), then putt as normal.

A "mini-golf" or "miniature golf" course is not like a golf course. You only putt. You putt on a narrow strip with wooden walls around it. There are different obstacles for each hole. Here are some pictures:

View attachment 23140 View attachment 23141
    Thanks for answering, doji. Question: mini-golf has colourful little wooden houses for the ball to go in, but not pitch n putt?

Also, a pitch n putt is as big as a regular golf course? But how come the one we have here in our park is not that big.

Myridon

English - US
    In playing a hole of regular golf, the holes are generally about 250m to 500m. You use different clubs to help the ball go different lengths. If you are close to the green after a series of drives, you will use a short club, such a 9-iron or a pitching wedge, to pitch the ball onto the green so that you can putt.
    Regular golf: Drive, pitch, putt. A hole is 250 to 500m.
    Pitch'n'putt: Pitch, putt. A hole is sbout 50m.
    Miniature golf: Putt only. A hole is 25m.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Thanks for answering, doji. Question: mini-golf has colourful little wooden houses for the ball to go in, but not pitch n putt?
    Panzerfausto, dojibear told you that "pich n putt" is like a normal golf course, except for the distances. A normal golf course does not have little wooden houses, or windmills, or other obstacles on it, does it?

Also, a pitch n putt is as big as a regular golf course?
    Dojibear also told you that the distances between the tee and the green on a pitch and putt course are not like those of a regular golf course, but are only a fraction of those on a normal course. This clearly means that a pitch and putt course is not, and will not be, as big as a regular golf course.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Miniature golf: Putt only. A hole is 25m.
    That would be very large. It's probably more like 3 to 6 meters and maybe 10 or 12 at the most.

Miniature golf is not played on real grass. It's some kind of carpet or astroturf.

ewie

English English
    I can't speak for other Britishfolk but ...
    ... I call that miniature golf ...
    A "mini-golf" or "miniature golf" course is not like a golf course. You only putt. You putt on a narrow strip with wooden walls around it. There are different obstacles for each hole.
    ... and that crazy golf.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English

... and that crazy golf.
    Apparently "crazy golf" is a type of "minigolf", for which there is in turn a British Minigolf Association.

"Pitch and putt" is apparently used on both sides of the Atlantic with the same meaning. Here is a list of pitch and putt courses in the UK:
    pitchnputt.co.uk
    and since nothing in Britain appears to be real unless there is some sort of Association for it, here is the site for the British Pitch and Putt Association.

Packard

USA, English
    Miniature Golf (Ewie's crazy golf) varies in size according to the cost of land. In the densely populated suburban Long Island where I grew up they would fit a miniature golf course in about a quarter of an acre.

When I moved further out from the urban areas (exurban) the courses grew larger with longer putts.

All the courses used artificial turf. Some had whimsical features. In this one you have to shoot through the house (a shotgun house, I would guess).

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    If you can use a pitching wedge as you first shot, it's Pitch and putt. Anything else, where you start with a putter, is X-golf where X = mini or crazy etc. depending on local terms:) Then I re-read Ewie-san's post

... and that crazy golf.
    The Wikipedia article seems international enough to not restrict itself to AE
    Miniature golf, also known as minigolf, or putt-putt, is an offshoot of the sport of golf focusing solely on the putting aspect of its parent game
    and I never played before I left the UK (only a few times since, in any case) I also wonder whether other Britishpersons use "miniature golf" (or even "toy" golf) for the one where you start with a pitching wedge.

ewie

English English
    I'm aware that the term pitch and putt exists in the UK ~ but I've never used it myself.

:warning:I've just remembered that when I was a kiddie we used to call miniature golf simply putting. ("Can we go putting today, Grandma?")

:warning:I've never in my life played grown-up golf:)

A crazy golf course of ¼-acre would be luxurious indeed in the UK: they're generally about the size of a large-ish dining-table here:cool:

One of my genuine'n'authentic childhood haunts:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    There are a few local pitch and putt courses in this area. In broad terms, they are as dojibear describes in #2
    A "pitch n putt" is like a normal golf course, except that the distance from each starting tee to its green is 50 meters, instead of 450 meters.
    except that there are usually only 9 holes, which vary between 180 yards (160m) and 100 yards (90m)1 - they are all par 3 (A good player will take 3 shots on average to complete a hole.)

The pitch and putt course is thus simply a small golf course.

I first came across mini-golf in Germany - it is identical to British "crazy golf" (ewie at #7)

1There was one that had short holes, but it went out of business...

< Previous | Next >