pitch you a proposition?

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
Hi,

I am wondering whether "pitch" is correctly used in "I'd like to pitch you a proposition," meaning I'd like to offer you a business proposal.

I'd appreciate your help.

• The Newt

English - US
    Yes, it's correct. "I'd like to pitch a proposition to you" might be more natural. The idea is "present or offer, in the hopes that you will be persuaded to accept."

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
    Yes, it's correct. "I'd like to pitch a proposition to you" might be more natural. The idea is "present or offer, in the hopes that you will be persuaded to accept."
    The problem is that this pattern "pitch somebody something" is not recorded in any major dictionaries.
    Only "pitch something at / to somebody" is recorded.

The Newt

English - US
    The problem is that this pattern "pitch somebody something" is not recorded in any major dictionaries.
    Only "pitch something at / to somebody" is recorded.
    All I can tell you is that it's common usage in the US. The usage may be (in part, at least) borrowed from baseball. You don't pitch at a batter, you pitch to a batter.

WR Dictionary for pitch as an informal verb, #24:

to attempt to sell or win approval for something or someone by advertising, promotion, etc.,politicians pitching on TV.

(It's also very common in show business, producers pitching the idea or outline for a play, TV show, script, film, etc.)

raymondaliasapollyon

Chinese
    WR Dictionary for pitch as an informal verb, #24:

to attempt to sell or win approval for something or someone by advertising, promotion, etc.,politicians pitching on TV.

(It's also very common in show business, producers pitching the idea or outline for a play, TV show, script, film, etc.)
    I'm wondering whether in this context, "proposition" is a bit too formal to be used with "pitch"?

Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    Yes, it is a little. A more natural way to say it would be something like "I'd like to pitch something to you", with a proposition implicit in that.

< Previous | Next >