plaît aux gourmands

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by dilafa, May 16, 2006.

1. dilafa Member

France
    How would you say ''Gourmand'' in English?
    Wordrefernce gives me ''Greedy'' but for me it has a negative image?!!!
    ''Gourmand'' in French is not pejorative !

Thanks for your help :)

2. charlie2 Senior Member

Hi and welcome :) ,
    According to Oxford, it seems that we use the same word in English.

3. dilafa Member

France
    Cheers Charlie !
    But in the little Oxford dictionary pocket I have, gourmand is a noun not an adjectif...and I need an adjecitf :(
    Actually, I need to transalte ''qui plaît aux gourmands''...any help on this one?

4. charlie2 Senior Member

Click on the word "Oxford" in my earlier post. It is a noun.:)
    Can you give the entire sentence?

5. dilafa Member

France
    Yes...you are right ! It is noun on-line and off-line :)
    The sentence is:
    ''Cette marque plaît aux gourmands''

It is for marketing purposes!

6. Aupick

Aupick Senior Member

Strasbourg, France
    UK, English
    You could use 'food lovers', although it's not as expressive, or any of the following:
    This brand appeals to food lovers.
    This brand appeals to lovers of (fine) food.
    This brand appeals to lovers of fine eating.
    This brand appeals to lovers of fine dining.
    This brand appeals to the discerning eater.
    This brand appeals to the discerning palate. (This one's getting a bit pretentious, but might work if you're talking about caviar.)

7. dilafa Member

France
    food lovers...that sounds good ! Thanks
    I would also say ''this brand appeals to gourmands'' or ''to food lovers'' !

Thanks a lot everybody :)
    Dilafa

8. la_cavalière Senior Member

St. Louis, MO
    anglais États-Unis
    Careful: "food lover" can have a negative connotation, meaning "someone who likes to eat a lot."

"Lovers of fine food" or "lovers of fine dining" would be better.

My choice would be:

"connoisseurs of fine food"

9. cjessy New Member

Bristol - UK
    French - France
    I think you can say:
    "to have a sweet tooth" pour garder l'aspect positif de gourmand
    Mais je ne suis pas sure que tu puisse l'adapter à ton texte?

10. Overton Senior Member

Paris
    France/England
    "gourmet" maybe?

11. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Connecticut
    US-English
    In English, 'to have a sweet tooth' would refer to someone who likes sweets or sugary foods, not necessarily that they appreciate fine food. For this context, I would use one of the above suggestions. I think this phrase (someone with a 'sweet tooth') is more along the lines of a 'bibitte à sucre'.

12. carolineR

carolineR Senior Member

Indian Ocean
    France
    to have a sweet tooth, as far as I know, applies to people who love sweet food,
    whereas gourmand in the context seems to me closer to lover of good food or gourmet

13. orlando09 Senior Member

France, PACA
    English (England)
    I was discussing this with a friend today, who like me comes from Yorkshire (although we now live in France) and then I looked here to see if it had been raised. We both agreed that it's interesting that the French use "gourmand" so much and you rarely hear more pejorative words like goinfre or glouton which are more similar to the English "greedy". Maybe it's cultural - in France ther's nothing wrong with liking to eat heartily because food is so much part of the culture!

We said that gourmand was more like the northern English expression "he likes his food" (or, as my grandad might say "he's a good trencherman"). by the way, "greedy" just means eating too much (and possibly without much discrimitation), but does not indicate messiness (as someone suggested in another thread).

Personally I have rarely seen or heard the word "gourmand" used in Britain, and I think most people, if they did use it, would use it quite indiscriminatingly with "gourmet", unless they knew French very well, mainly out of ignorance about the distinction between the words. Of course in French a gourmet is a person who is highly educated and discerning about fine food (like the rarely-used word epicure, mentioned above), whereas a gourmand is just someone who enjoys eating. Personally, I would not use gourmand in English, but would use gourmet in the same sense as in French. I would not use anything like epicure or "he has a discerning palate" as a direct translation of French gourmand, as I don't think the French word necessarily implies those things.

These days you sometimes aslo see the word "a foodie" - meaning a gourmet. But it's more seen in the press rather than used in normal conversation.

PS re Epicures, as Tamanoir said, in the original sense Epicureans (followers of the Greek philosopher Epicurus) were not necessarily especially concerned with food and drink, I don't think, however maybe the word isn't so misplaced, as they avoided excess - being greedy, getting drunk etc - as those things can lead to unpleasant feelings, while, I guess, a refined appreciation of fine food and drink probably would be the kind of thing they'd approve of as it is a genuine pleasure without ill effects

14. Tresley

Tresley Senior Member

Yorkshire / United Kingdom
    British English
    When I see 'pour les gourmands' written on food products in France, I always mentally translate this as 'for those who are fond of good food'.

It usually makes me want to buy it!

15. orlando09 Senior Member

France, PACA
    English (England)
    Yes, it's usually positive in French - or at worst mildly teasing, as when you might tell a child "tu es gourmand, hein?" whereas in English you might tell them they were being greedy