[place] + を + intransitive verb

< Previous | Next >

Pacerier

English / Chinese
Hi all, i was wondering when we use say 川を泳いだ, does it imply that I swam through the river (and went to the other side of the river)?

also, when we say 富士山に登った, does it imply that i climbed Mt.Fuji (and reached a certain location on the mountain),

whereas 富士山を登った will mean i climbed Mt.Fuji (and there is no implication of anything)?

• Wishfull

Japanese
    Hi all, i was wondering when we use say 川を泳いだ, does it imply that I swam through the river (and went to the other side of the river)? No. It just means that (I) swim in the river.

also, when we say 富士山に登った, does it imply that i climbed Mt.Fuji (and reached a certain location on the mountain),

whereas 富士山を登った will mean i climbed Mt.Fuji (and there is no implication of anything)?
    川を泳いだ=川で泳いだ
    富士山を登った=富士山に登った
    I think they are equal and interchangeable.
    You can choose whichever you like.

Ototsan

Japanese
    Hi all, i was wondering when we use say 川を泳いだ, does it imply that I swam through the river (and went to the other side of the river)?

As far as 川を泳いだ is concerned, I think you are rihgt. But I wouldn't say 富士山を 登った because it hardly makes sense for me.

Pacerier

English / Chinese
    thanks for the replies, as for the first question, is it common to say 川を泳いでいった to mean i swam across the river and reach the other side?

anyway will 富士山に登った make you think that i have climbed to the top of Mt. Fuji or will it make you think that i've climbed Mt. Fuji, maybe abit, but not right to the top?

Last edited:

Ototsan

Japanese
    thanks for the replies, as for the first question, is it common to say 川を泳いでいった to mean i swam across the river and reach the other side?

anyway will 富士山に登った make you think that i have climbed to the top of Mt. Fuji or will it make you think that i've climbed Mt. Fuji, maybe abit, but not right to the top?
    > 川を泳いでいった

This sentence simply means that you swam along the river.

> 富士山に登った

When people say 富士山に登った, you may usually assume they climed to the top. However, if you ask someone 富士山に登ったことがありますか, you don't necessarily want to know whether (s)he reached the summit or not. You want to know whether they have ever engaged themselves in Mt Fuji climbing.

Pacerier

English / Chinese
    When people say 富士山に登った, you may usually assume they climed to the top. However, if you ask someone 富士山に登ったことがありますか, you don't necessarily want to know whether (s)he reached the summit or not. You want to know whether they have ever engaged themselves in Mt Fuji climbing.
    what if i wanted to say "i'd had attempted to climb Mt. Fuji (but maybe i've failed to)", will this be ok: 富士山に登ろうとした
    will this be weird: 富士山を登ろうとした

Ototsan

Japanese
    what if i wanted to say "i'd had attempted to climb Mt. Fuji (but maybe i've failed to)", will this be ok: 富士山に登ろうとした
    will this be weird: 富士山を登ろうとした
    I'd say 富士山に登ったけれど,頂上までは行けなかった.

Wishfull

Japanese
    When people say 富士山に登った, you may usually assume they climed to the top.
    Hi.

I disagree. (I agree in a sense, but it doen't help learners.)

The equivalent English is "They climed Mt.Fuji."
    The sentence "富士山に登った" doesn't tell which (to the top, or middle of the course.)
    Both Japanese and English don't tell that the climbing is success or not.
    They don't tell that it is hard or easy.
    They don't tell that they climbed to the top or gave up at the middle of its course.
    You can guess anyway, but after all it is just a guess.

There is no nuance between 富士山に登った and 富士山を登った.
    If you expect that the difference between に and を can tell you the climbing was successful one or not, you are completely wrong.
    There is no special grammatical different role between に and を in this context.

Wishfull

Japanese
    If you want that I swam through the river, you could say;
    川を泳ぎ切った。
    泳ぎ切る=finish swimming to the goal

富士山を登り切った might be the one thay you're looking for.

Pacerier

English / Chinese
    is it true that when we say 富士山に登りきった, the に can mark 富士山 as the reason for 登りきった and it sounds weird?

shiremono

Japanese/Japan
    Hi,

When you say "富士山を登る", "富士山を" implies the slope of the mountain. The phrase is about an act of climbing the slope of Mt.Fuji.

Thus "富士山を登りきった" is natural while "富士山に登りきった" is strange.

I do not feel that "富士山に" makes the reason of the act though. All I can say is it doesn't make a good phrase.

< Previous | Next >