placed rejoicing on high land

< Previous | Next >

gil12345

chinese
Hi there,

"The drunkard was hopelessly lost until it was discovered that he was governed by the same laws of mind as the sober man. Then with what magic power, by kindness and love, was he raised from the slough of despond and placed rejoicing on high land. Let a man once settle the question that woman does not think and feel like himself and he may as well undertake to judge of the amount of intellect and sensation of any of the animal creation as of woman's nature."

Stanton, "Address on Woman's Rights," Speech Text - Voices of Democracy (1848)

It seems to me that the sentence with the underlined part should have ended with an exclamation mark. I can't get Stanton's metaphor (her idea about "he.") Does she mean the male was so drunk as not to understand women? In other words, the drunk was not able to get out of his muddy hole and be placed on high land (and be happy.) I don't know why she mentions "rejoicing."

Thanks

Gil

Last edited:
  • Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Try this:

"People used to consider alcoholics as hopelessly lost until it was discovered that they are governed by the same laws of mind as sober people. Only then with the magic power of kindness and love, could they be raised from the slough of despair and placed, rejoicing, on dry land. Likewise, if men decide that women do not think and feel like they do, they might as well try..."

gil12345

chinese
    Try this:

"People used to consider alcoholics as hopelessly lost until it was discovered that they are governed by the same laws of mind as sober people. Only then with the magic power of kindness and love, could they be raised from the slough of despair and placed, rejoicing, on dry land. Likewise, if men decide that women do not think and feel like they do, they might as well try..."
    Correct me if I am wrong. So Stanton thinks that a man, like a drunkard, needs to be saved from his hole (despair) and then can be normal (rejoicing on dry land)?

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    No, Stanton thinks that men must rethink their ideas of women's intellect, in the same way they have already rethought how to deal with drunkards. They have learned how to save alcoholics, by treating them as rational human beings; now they should give women the same consideration.

< Previous | Next >