placeman

< Previous | Next >

Jofre

español
Hi,
What's the meaning for placeman? Is it a trusworthy person?
No context available.
Yours,

Last edited:
  • Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    I'm sorry, Jofre. We need source and context in order to help you (according to forum rules).

Please give us a complete sentence and tell us where you saw this word.

Jofre

español
    Alright, let's write the context:
    We are every day told, by those persons who are interested in supporting the corruption list, and an innumerable host of sinecure placemen, that the Constitution of England is the perfection of human wisdom;
    This is an address which was distributed to people by the London Corresponding Society. The source it is extracted from (The First Report…​) is a collection of the evidence presented at the trial of the leaders of the London Corresponding Society in 1794.

It's source is The First Report of the Committee of Secrecy of the House of Commons, on the Papers Belonging to The Society for Constitutional Information, and The London Corresponding Society, Seized by Order of Government… (London, 1794)

owlman5

English-US
    Judging from the context, I think that "sinecure placemen" are worthless people who hold some office without having to do anything constructive, Jofre. Though I've never heard or read "placeman" before, I'm familiar with the word "sinecure". Here is the WR definition for that word that guides my thinking in this answer: Sinecure - a paid office or post involving minimal duties

Last edited:

srk

English - US
    "sinecure" looks like an adjective in the quote. According to the WRF dictionary, it is a noun meaning a "paid office requiring minimal duties." Oxford Online defines "placeman" as "a person appointed to a position, especially in government service, for personal profit and as a reward for political support".

cross posted

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I'm sure you noticed the year in which this word was used. I don't think one person in a hundred would recognize it today, or that one person in ten thousand would use it. Those fractions may be far too high.

Jofre

español
    I agree with owlman5, it's a despective word. I found out that the translation for placeman in Spanish is adlátere meaning somebody who depends on another person, who is subordinate to another, and placemen thus implies that the people it refers to are worthless.

< Previous | Next >