Places that/which are noisy

Gisellee

Spanish-Peru
Dear friends,
I appreciate it if you can give me your suggestions about this piece of speaking about my city.
"Chorrillos has some quiet places and there are other places that are noisy(in Chorrillos)"
"Chorrillos has some quiet places but there are other places which are noisy..(in Chorrillos)"
"Chorrillos has some quiet places, but of course, there are other places which are noisy and bustling.."
Is it possible the use of both "which" and "that" in these two ideas? Suggestions for a melodic flow? Thanks! :)

• The Newt

English - US
    There's no reason for a comma after "of course." I would use one of the "but" versions. In the US we're often taught to use "that" in that kind of construction, but in the UK "which" may be completely acceptable.

gengo

American English
    "Chorrillos has some quiet places and there are other places that are noisy."
    "Chorrillos has some quiet places but there are other places which are noisy."
    "Chorrillos has some quiet places, but of course, there are other places which are noisy and bustling."
    I agree about the unnecessary comma. Also, there should be a comma in #2 after places.

All three are grammatically correct, and the choice is just a matter of personal style.

In general, in AmEn we use "that" here, and use "which" when there is a clearer break, often after punctuation.

Ex.
    There are many cars that are white.
    There are many white cars, which is a rather boring color.

In the first above, "which" would be acceptable (although not preferable), but "that" would be incorrect in the second.

Forero

Dear friends,
    I appreciate it if you can give me your suggestions about this piece of speaking about my city.
    "Chorrillos has some quiet places and there are other places that are noisy(in Chorrillos)"
    "Chorrillos has some quiet places but there are other places which are noisy..(in Chorrillos)"
    "Chorrillos has some quiet places, but of course, there are other places which are noisy and bustling.."
    Is it possible the use of both "which" and "that" in these two ideas? Suggestions for a melodic flow? Thanks! :)
    "That" and "which" mean the same thing to me, but all these sentences are a little unbalanced. Try for a more parallel structure that makes clear that both kinds of places exist in Chorrillos.

huisache

South Texas--Spanish & English
    I agree with Forero. "Chorrillos has some quiet places and some noisy," or "Chorrillos has both quiet and noisy places," or "Some parts of Chorrillos are quiet, others noisy and bustling," etc.

Gisellee

Spanish-Peru
    Thanks dear friends, I agree. Those ideas are from a beginner student...but I'm going to try to help him in the balance of his ideas :B

Juan Moretime

American English, East Coast

Well, I see no practical difference between that and which. I have noticed, however, that you've put (in Chorrillos) at the end of the first two sentences. You want to make it clear that the quiet and noisy places are both in the same city. To get around this ambiguity, I suggest:

"Chorrillos has some quiet places, but other parts of the city/town/district are noisy."
    "Chorrillos tiene algunos lugares tranquilos, pero otras partes de la ciudad son ruidosas."

The direct article allows you to refer back to the place that you mentioned in the beginning.

The definite article | Learning English Grammar | Collins Education