plain chicken breast

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
Hi all,

When you are ordering a meal at a restaurant but want to have your dish cooked and plated up as simply as possible (that is, with no sauces or spices or herbs of any kind added), for example, grilled ckicken breast, would asking for plain grilled chicken breast convey what I explained just above? Or, on the hand, would I have to be specific about what I want, that is, describing it like: please just have it grilled, and add no spices or herbs, and don't put any sauce on it afterwards.

I am not really sure that I explained myself properly... :/

Thank you so much.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    You have explained yourself properly, Ah_poix. :)

I agree with Greyfriar. That formulation is quite clear.

Odd, but true, my mother often wants this in restaurants, and I'm trying to imagine how she says it. It comes out something like: I just want a simple grilled chicken breast with nothing on it.

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
    Hi perpend,

Thank you so much.
    What is then the role of the word "simple" in your sentence? I thought that it would convey the information "with nothing on it" simply by saying it, but I can see that you still have to say something else - like " with nothing on it".

Thay said, would it then be the same if I asked for "grilled chicken breast with nothing on it", that is, without the word " simple"?

You have explained yourself properly, Ah_poix. :)

I agree with Greyfriar. That formulation is quite clear.

Odd, but true, my mother often wants this in restaurants, and I'm trying to imagine how she says it. It comes out something like: I just want a simple grilled chicken breast with nothing on it.

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
    Hi,

'I would like a plain grilled chicken breast with no seasoning or sauces please.'
    Hi Greyfriar,

Like I've asked perpend, though he has used "simple", rather than " plain", what is the meaning of the word "plain" in your sentence? I eas under thr impression that "plain' would said it all, but apparently it doesn't, right?

Thank you.

Myridon

English - US
    Restaurants prepare their food in order to produce the items on the menu. You're asking for something that's not on the menu. If the restaurant even has a grilled chicken breast, it might be the case that the chicken breasts are seasoned and/or marinated in advance of cooking. Asking for a plain chicken breast might result in one of their sauced dishes with no sauce, but the chicken might still be seasoned. You should be as specific as possible rather than leaving it up to them to decide what you mean.

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
    Hi Myridon,

Thank you so much for the tip. :)

Restaurants prepare their food in order to produce the items on the menu. You're asking for something that's not on the menu. If the restaurant even has a grilled chicken breast, it might be the case that the chicken breasts are seasoned and/or marinated in advance of cooking. Asking for a plain chicken breast might result in one of their sauced dishes with no sauce, but the chicken might still be seasoned. You should be as specific as possible rather than leaving it up to them to decide what you mean.

< Previous | Next >