planning (=noun) of/on something

meijin

Japanese
Hi, let's say a survey asked two questions, one is for finding out if the respondents, who bought a Häagen-Dazs ice cream at 7-eleven, had decided which brand of ice cream to buy before visiting the store, and another is for finding out if they had decided in advance at which store to buy it.

I'm currently translating a survey report into English and need to translate titles for the results of questions like the above. The original titles in Japanese use a word that means plan(ning), as well as a word that means brand/store, but I'm struggling to come up with good English titles using these words. Please see my attempts below.

Planning of the Brand to Buy
Planning of the Store to Visit

Do they work? I have a feeling that "of" is a wrong preposition here. Maybe I should use "on"?

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Planning which Brand to Buy
    Planning which Store to Visit

Remember that these present participles, as well as being nouns, still have some of the power of verbs: they can take a direct object. That simplfies sentences such as these enormously.

e2efour

UK English
    Planning of is the right preposition.
    You could perhaps write Planning which brand to buy. Here you are interested in the number (including zero) of those who wanted a particular brand.

(cross-posted with Keith)

< Previous | Next >