planted/rigged a bomb

bamboo--tw

ROC/Mandarin
An unidentified man called the police, saying he had planted a bomb at the Taipei Railway Station.

Hi,
Can I interpert "planted" in the above as "rigged?" If not, what does it mean? Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Planted means "installed" or "set," so it would have a meaning equivalent to "rigged" in this situation.
    Doesn't "rigging" a bomb mean that the bomb was made? If I "rig up" a bomb, am I not creating a bomb? "Planting" a bomb in a given location means placing it in the place that it is "rigged" to go off at. I don't think that the use of "rigged" in Bamboo's sentence is correct.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Doesn't "rigging" a bomb mean that the bomb was made? If I "rig up" a bomb, am I not creating a bomb? "Planting" a bomb in a given location means placing it in the place that it is "rigged" to go off at. I don't think that the use of "rigged" in Bamboo's sentence is correct.
    From rig:
    2 rig
    connect or secure to; "They rigged the bomb to the ignition"
    I understand your misgivings, Dimcl. Perhaps I just equate the meaning of "rig a bomb" to less ambiguous uses like "rig a booby trap" or the like.

< Previous | Next >