plantilla (para zapatos)

cirrus

UK English
¿Cómo se llama la plantilla, de esas que ponen los podólogos en tus zapatos para modificar la marcha?

I am helping a mate apply for a job. For the life of us we can't remember what we say for plantilla in English when it is something you put in the person´s shoes to alleviate foot problems and improve the gait. I am thinking ortho something but can't be certain!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • cirrus

UK English
    I have just found the word I was looking for, orthotics.

This link gives more information.

Don't you just hate it when you know you knew a word once but for the life of you can't bring it back to the surface!

estrella de mar

UK English
    araceli said:
    Sí, cirrus, decimos: "tenerla en la punta de la lengua" y es muy común,¿no?

También tenemos "it's on the tip of my tongue". ¡Me gusta mucho esa expresión!

Last edited by a moderator:

testoduro

Español(de España)
    Going back to the question asked in the original post.I am still not clear on how to say plantillas (ortopédicas). It's not a specialized term,it's rather a word you hear every day. Which of the following options sounds the most natural?
    a)(Orthopedic)insoles.
    b)Foot orthosis.
    c)Arch supports.
    d)Others?
    A million thanks.

steemic

English (US)
    I agree with Moritzchen. Insole by itself is sufficient. Arch support(s) is a good alternative as well if you want to sound more "orthopedic". I think insole however is what one would most likely encounter in everyday speech.

lghc85

Going back to the question asked in the original post.I am still not clear on how to say plantillas (ortopédicas). It's not a specialized term,it's rather a word you hear every day. Which of the following options sounds the most natural?
    a)(Orthopedic)insoles.
    b)Foot orthosis.
    c)Arch supports.
    d)Others?
    A million thanks.
    I'd call them "orthotics"

OtroLencho

English - Western US
    Hmm. I thought it was a pretty common word. At least it was when I was a kid.
    Wow, our individual experiences are different on that; any other native speakers have opinions?

dictionary.com used to have an indicator of how well known a word is, but I haven't seen it for a while; anyone know of a source for that information?