Plastic bag got torn/ripped/broken

< Previous | Next >

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
Hi all,

Does a platic bag get ripped or torn in the following contexts:
- Say I'm walking and carrying a bag with some things in it. Suddently, the bag contents drops from the bottom of the (now torn/ripped) bag.

- By the time I get home, I empty the bag and notice the bag is tore/ripped in the bottom.
?

Thank you. :)

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    For me "torn" or "ripped" suggests that the bag must have got caught on something, or someone deliberately ripped it. If the plastic bag has developed a hole for no apparent reason I would more naturally say "The bag's got a hole in it." or "There's a hole in the bottom of this plastic bag." (Most often I use "tear" for fabric, not for plastic.)

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
    Either "torn" or "ripped" will work there, but it's "at the bottom". :)
    Hi Donny,

Thank you.
    Okay, torn. Thia is one of those verbs that still makes me think how to write it (tense wise).

But you do say that there is a hole in the bottom, right? So, as a tear is a hole, I thought I could use "in" as well. Can't I?

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
    For me "torn" or "ripped" suggests that the bag must have got caught on something, or someone deliberately ripped it. If the plastic bag has developed a hole for no apparent reason I would more naturally say "The bag's got a hole in it." or "There's a hole in the bottom of this plastic bag." (Most often I use "tear" for fabric, not for plastic.)
    Hi Velisarius,

The reason might simply be excess load in the bag, for instace, right?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    But you do say that there is a hole in the bottom, right? So, as a tear is a hole, I thought I could use "in" as well. Can't I?
    Yes, you can: "This plastic bag has a hole/tear/rip in the bottom." or
    "There is a hole/tear/rip in the bottom of this plastic bag."

But on the other hand we'd say "This plastic bag is holed/torn/ripped at the bottom." :)

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
    Yes, you can: "This plastic bag has a hole/tear/rip in the bottom." or
    "There is a hole/tear/rip in the bottom of this plastic bag."

But on the other hand we'd say "This plastic bag is holed/torn/ripped at the bottom." :)
    Hi DonnyB,

Thank you so much. :)

dumbfounded

persian
    < I have added this question to an existing thread.
    Please scroll up and read from the top.
    Cagey, moderator. >

I was carrying some household stuffs in bag. I was on my way and suddenly all of the things came out and I realized that's because of weight.
    Can I say, The bag/Plastic bag got torn/ripped/broken because of overweight.

Last edited by a moderator:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    In the moment, I'd use the simple past: The plastic bag tore/ripped/broke because of the weight.

*overweight typically means "fat".

Who uses plastic bags anymore? :D (That was just a little "green" joke. I still use them.)

< Previous | Next >