plastic blizzard [snow globe]

< Previous | Next >

maryoceans

Spain (Spanish)
Hi,

I'm translating a text and I can't possibly imagine what does "plastic blizzard" mean:

"More hours passed, during which he drifted from kiosk to café, reading magazines dedicated to subjects that had never before interested him, flipping through foreign guidebooks, shaking plastic blizzards, observing the wax and wane of the shifting crowds."

It's about a boy who lives in an airport.

Any comments will be welcome!

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    There is a decorative object called a snow globe (among other things) that consists of a scene in a globe that is filled with a liquid in which small bits of plastic "snow" are suspended. When you shake the globe, it looks as though snow is falling on the scene. Airport souvenir shops often sell snow globes with scenes of local attractions.

It seems likely that you have snow globes in Spain as well, and know what one looks like, but here is a picture of a snow globe of the city hall in Buffalo, New York.

Last edited:

MilkyBarKid

British English
    I think it refers to those snow globes found in souvenir shops They depict some scene, with white flakes on the ground; and when shaken, it gives the idea of snow falling and settling on the ground. If the manufacturer is not stingy on the white flakes, then shaking it would give the impression of a blizzard!

maryoceans

Spain (Spanish)
    Thank, guys! That was really helpful.

Cagey, in Spain we have snow globes, but they aren't too frequent as a souvenir.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >