Plat / re-plat

< Previous | Next >

sophiasophie

Chinese
Hi,

The following appears in a home purchase contract:

Title to the Property shall be subject to the following: (1) utility easements, sewer agreements, telephone agreements, cable agreements, telecommunications agreements, monitoring agreements, restrictions and reservations common to any plat affecting title to the Property (including Seller's re-plat);

I checked the dictionary and found that plat can mean a land plot or a land map, but I am confused about the meaning of "plat" and "re-plat" in the sentence above.

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    Potentially if the seller has divided up a larger piece of property into smaller ones for the purpose of sale that sounds like a condition in which there is a re-plat. However, since this is a strict legal term you'd really have to chase this down in a legal dictionary or with someone with legal expertise in the jurisdiction, country, legal system, etc. where this takes place. Where in fact is this from?

sophiasophie

Chinese
    Potentially if the seller has divided up a larger piece of property into smaller ones for the purpose of sale that sounds like a condition in which there is a re-plat. However, since this is a strict legal term you'd really have to chase this down in a legal dictionary or with someone with legal expertise in the jurisdiction, country, legal system, etc. where this takes place. Where in fact is this from?
    Hi. This is a contract for a house in Texas. Do you mean that "plat" means the act of dividing a land parcel into smaller ones, and "re-plat" means re-doing it? If so, I can't figure out what "common to" means in the sentence.

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    can't figure out what "common to" means in the sentence.
    Of course this is a separate question but basically "common to" means "shared by".
    Do you mean that "plat" means the act of dividing a land parcel into smaller ones, and "re-plat" means re-doing it?
    Not exactly. The act or process of dividing land is just that, something you do that requires many steps and a lot of legalities, including providing public notice, changing the titles, registering or "recording" the deeds with the county recorder's office, recording any debts or loans on the property, providing any private zoning restrictions (color of paint, size of fence), and of course providing an official map or "plat" that has been developed by a licensed surveyor. The boundaries of a piece of real property are not always the obvious ones. In some cases they extend to the middle of the road or conversely end inside of what you think is your property, where the city or county has the right to widen the road without your permission. A lot of times, things like easements go across several properties, or one property has an easement across another. These would also be evident on the plat and thus recorded with the county. These easements, for example, are "common to" two or more properties.

Last edited:

RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I left out the important point, as I understand it.

The original large property has a plat that is recorded with the county. In the process of dividing it into smaller parcels, a surveyor would have to "re-plat" it. (The noun has been turned into a verb.) Now, please understand that this is not definitive or conclusive. It's just a best guess of what is going on in your text.

< Previous | Next >