Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by racsoacme, Feb 20, 2013.

  1. racsoacme Member

    Arequipa, Perú
    Peruvian Spanish
    Hi friends,
    I'm trying to translate a "quitclaim deed" and I have a problem with this part "...according to the plat thereof recorded in Volume 5 of Plats, page 93...".
    Yo he intentado: " ...como se puede ver del mismo plano catastral registrado en el Volumen 5 de _______________, página 93..." Mi duda es si Plats así con mayúscula se refiere a algún tipo de Registro Público de algún tipo de propiedad. ¿?
  2. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

    SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    A plat is a drawing showing the boundaries of a property and sometimes the boundaries of a number of properties.

    In this context, Plats undoubtedly does refer to a public register. In the US, we don't register land titles (at least, not in most states). We have a different system that depends on instruments affecting title to real property being recorded in books maintained by a public office. Typically these books have titles like Deeds, Maps, and so on. In this case, the state has a set of books called Plats. I would translate it as "Mapas."

    en el Volumen 5 de Mapas, página 93
  3. racsoacme Member

    Arequipa, Perú
    Peruvian Spanish
    Thanks a lot! RicardoElAbogado. You really helped me.
  4. litiga8or

    litiga8or Senior Member

    Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    Yes. In fact, plats are often referred to as "plat maps".
  5. racsoacme Member

    Arequipa, Perú
    Peruvian Spanish
    Thank you so much litiga8or.

Share This Page