play a round of zinc, zinc, piece of quartz

< Previous | Next >

ouuugg

Korean -Korea
From the TV show The Big Bang Theory, the geologist, Bert says "Although if there's time, I guess we could play a round of zinc, zinc, piece of quartz." as wordplay.

I guess this is a kind of kids games whose title is, of course, changed with the geologic terms. Can anyone please tell me what the original game is?

• ouuugg

Korean -Korea
    It seems like more lines would help your guess.

Bert: I've got these four-billion-year-old meteorites. I thought maybe they'd show signs of neutrino interactions. I could really use someone like you to help me with the math.

Sheldon: Sorry, Bert, I don't have time to play rocks with you.

Bert: I'm not asking you to play rocks. I'm asking you to collaborate on a research project. Although if there's time, I guess we could play a round of zinc, zinc, piece of quartz.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    In the context of geology, could we use the name of an English teaching game: "Odd man out"? - By the way, it would be "these four-billion-year old meteorites", as (grammatically) "these" is plural and (logically) there would have to be at last three meteorites from among which to choose.

Truffula

English - USA
    The repetition of "zinc" makes me agree with ainttranslationfun - the original is "duck duck goose" which Loob links to above.

As Wikipedia says, "The object of this game is to walk in a circle, tapping on each player's head until one is finally chosen and he or she must chase the picker to avoid becoming the next picker." A group of children play. All but one sit on the ground in a circle. One child walks around the outside of the circle, saying "Duck" and patting the top of each child's head in turn. When the child instead says "Goose" while patting a head, the owner of that head stands up and chases the child who was patting heads around the circle. They are racing to be the first all the way around and sit in the vacant spot; whoever sits first, keeps the spot.

(At least that's how I remember playing it sometimes. Other times I think if the chaser was able to touch "tag" the head patter, the head patter had to try again.) The loser of the race now pats heads and says "Duck, Duck, Duck..... etc... Goose"

< Previous | Next >