play an MP3

< Previous | Next >

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering whether the underlined part is idiomatic:

"Next I will play an MP3, and you will hear an conversation. Listen and finish the exercise one.

Thoughts and context: I am teaching English and I will practice their listening skills. I will make a sound of conversation by playing the sound on computer and ask the students to finish the exercises on the textbook.

• jmichaelm

English - US
    "Next I will play an MP3, and you will hear a conversation. Listen and finish exercise one."

The underlined part looks fine.

Note that you should say "a conversation" not "an conversation", and "exercise one"
    not "the exercise one", and remember your closing quote mark when writing.

Sun14

Chinese
    "Next I will play an MP3, and you will hear a conversation. Listen and finish exercise one."

The underlined part looks fine.

Note that you should say "a conversation" not "an conversation", and "exercise one"
    not "the exercise one", and remember your closing quote mark when writing.
    Got it. Thank you very much.

Juhasz

English - United States
    I agree that we "play" MP3s, but I don't think it's especially idiomatic in this context to say "MP3." Why do the students need to know the file type of the audio clip? I would just say, "Next, I will play a recording/clip and you will hear a conversation."

Sun14

Chinese
    I agree that we "play" MP3s, but I don't think it's especially idiomatic in this context to say "MP3." Why do the students need to know the file type of the audio clip? I would just say, "Next, I will play a recording/clip and you will hear a conversation."
    You could shorten it even further: "Next, I will play a conversation."
    Got it. Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >