play / do sports

< Previous | Next >

nurdug51

Germany,German
languageGuy has just answered me a question.

And in his answer I read the combination playing sports for the first time.

Is there any difference between doing sports and playing sports? Or is the latter one typical American English?

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    languageGuy has just answered me a question, and in his answer I read the combination playing sports for the first time.
    Is there any difference between doing sports and playing sports? Or is the latter one typical American English?
    I daresay "doing sports" is a nonstandard collocation in any variety of English.

Skin

Italian
    I daresay "doing sports" is a nonstandard collocation in any variety of English.

While "doing sports" is certainly non-standard in AE ("playing sports" is standard), "doing sport" (singular) is a common collocation in BE:

"Do you do a lot of sport?" is a completely natural sentence in Great Britain. At least I suppose so. BE speakers, will you please back me up?;)

Skin

xebonyx

TR/AR/EN
    May I add that "I don't do sports" can be said idiomatically in English either jokingly or not--- depicting a kind of snotty, classist attitude, as if you're on a social higher ground. It means you're above playing sports, you're too good for sports.

For example "I don't do restaurants" would mean "I don't go to restaurants (that routine is not a part of my life)".

< Previous | Next >