play guitar / play the guitar

french teacher

French (France)

Is the expression "play guitar" or "play drums" more common in US English than "play the guitar" or "play the drums" (British English) or does it have a different meaning? Heard it last night in "Desperate Housewives" ;) !
  • Chris' Spokesperson

    Senior Member
    English - Ireland
    In common usage they are completely interchangeable even in British English, though you are right that the definite article prevails in the UK.

    No different meaning.
    < Previous | Next >