play noughts and crosses [tic-tac-toe]

meral

TURKISH-TURKIYE
Hi,
"all democracies are forced to play noughts and crosses with the violence of others equipped with various weapons of violence. Persuaded by business deals and geopolitical calculations, democratic governments -when they get away with it- secretly succour blood-sucking despots, like İdi Amin and Mobutu...

especially bold sections are my problems and I want to learn function of the sentence beginning as "persuaded...." , reason or situation, what?

thanks in advance

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi,
    "all democracies are forced to play noughts and crosses with the violence of others equipped with various weapons of violence. Persuaded by business deals and geopolitical calculations, democratic governments -when they get away with it- secretly succour blood-sucking despots, like İdi Amin and Mobutu...

especially bold sections are my problems and I want to learn function of the sentence beginning as "persuaded...." , reason or situation, what?

thanks in advance
    "noughts and crosses" is called "x"s and "o"s in North America. I believe that noughts (zeros) and crosses (x's) is the British term for the game. Go to this link to see a picture of the game.

I'm uncertain of your question with regard to the other bolded areas. Perhaps rewriting the last part of the sentence will help you ie:

"Democratic governments are persuaded by business deals and geopolitical calculations to secretly succour blood-sucking despots, like İdi Amin and Mobutu (when they get away with it)."

Lis48

English - British
    "All democracies are forced to play games with countries that possess weapons of violence. Democratic governments are influenced by financial and political deals, when no one else finds out, and secretly encourage destructive despots...."

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Most often, AE speakers (USA) refer to the game as "tic-tac-toe."

The meaning of "with the violence of others equipped with various weapons of violence" is not apparent to me. Can you double-check that the sentence is correctly copied?

This sentence makes sense to me: "All democracies are forced to play noughts and crosses with the lives of others, equippped with various weapons of violence."

The second sentence sounds good to me. "Influenced," as suggested above, is an acceptable alternative for "persuaded" in this sentence. I don't know why they suggest that that sentence's structures should be altered in the least, though.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    A more complete version of the first sentence copied from this link, which Trisia provided in an earlier thread.

"All democracies ... are forced to play noughts and crosses with the violence of others, for instance, mercenaries, .... [etc.] ... and networks of terrrorists equipped with various weapons of violence .... "
    (John Keane, Violence and Democracy: page 5)

(This validates Bibliolept's sense that something was missing and his inclination to add a comma.)

< Previous | Next >