play-off vs postseason [baseball]

< Previous | Next >

marsbeing

"The playoffs, play-offs, postseason and/or finals of a sports league are a competition played after the regular season by the top competitors to determine the league champion or a similar accolade. Depending on the league, the playoffs may be either a single game, a series of games, or a tournament, and may use a single-elimination system or one of several other different playoff formats. Playoff, in regard to international fixtures, is to qualify or progress to the next round of a competition or tournament."

Playoffs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are play-offs and postseason the same thing in baseball? If not, what are the differences? Thanks.

• fiercediva

American English
    The postseason happens after the regular season has ended.

In American Major League Baseball, there is Spring Training (kind of a preseason in February and March where players are auditioning for regular everyday positions and getting back into shape), then the regular season (April - September), then the postseason (October, sometimes into the first week of November).

The playoffs happen during the postseason.

Between the postseason and next year's Spring Training is the offseason. There are Major League team owners' meetings that happen in the Winter during the offseason to discuss issues in the sport.

MB

Polish
    Postseason is the period during which extra games are held, both playoffs and championships. Postseason/Post-season may sometimes be used interchangeably with playoffs, since the post-season is most often made up of a series of playoff games. Sometimes a league does not use a playoff system going straight to the championship game. Then, in the postseason there would be no playoffs, only that championship game.

apricots

English - US
    The playoffs happen during the postseason.
    This might be true but I've only ever heard non-baseball people call the postseason "playoffs" with regards to baseball. Like the term "baseball playoffs" sounds very wrong and strange to me.

Football, basketball, and hockey? have playoffs. Baseball has a postseason.

fiercediva

American English
    This might be true but I've only ever heard non-baseball people call the postseason "playoffs" with regards to baseball. Like the term "baseball playoffs" sounds very wrong and strange to me.

Football, basketball, and hockey? have playoffs. Baseball has a postseason.
    That's because we call the "playoff" games by their titles in baseball - ALDS, NLCS, Wild Card, World Series - but "postseason" is used in all the pro sports. The NBA Playoffs are part of their postseason tournament. The NFL publishes a postseason schedule of the Divisional Rounds and Conference Championship games leading up to the Super Bowl. The Stanley Cup is the culmination of postseason NHL rounds.

apricots

English - US
    I understand that I'm just saying that playoffs is rarely used in any context with baseball.

marsbeing

Thanks for your comments, everybody.

@apricots

'Play-off' is used pretty often in the book I am translating. Supposedly, the author should be very familiar with the subject so the term may not be that uncommon in baseball.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >