Play / Pretend Money

spicyice

Russia - Russian
Hello everybody, I am preparing for an oral and wondering what the correct term for play / pretend money would be. My subject is about gambling and I am refering to the alternate to gambling with real money, and that is to gamble with fake, pretend money. However l'argent faux appears to translate as counterfeit money and that is not what I am looking for. Also would the opposite of pretend money be real money? L'argent vrai? Le vrai argent? Any help would be much appreciated :)

• FRENFR

English
    Well I just confirmed it with the other half, and being a well edumacated French-ess, she agreed with my suggestion!?

spicyice

Russia - Russian
    FRENFR, using your suggestion, is it open to any ambiguity to its meaning? I like l'argent factice because it seems to have a very solid meaning and is not context depedent.

FRENFR

English
    edumacated is an ironic play on the word educated. If one is educated, they are well informed, well read etc, and can thus SPELL correctly. So, to mis-spell eduacated as edumacatd is simply a well known English play on words when you want to be a little ironique :)

-ess = the ending for a female something... So, a french female = a french-ess. It's not 'correct', but everyone would understand it :)

Viola_

France, French
    edumacated is an ironic play on the word educated. If one is educated, they are well informed, well read etc, and can thus SPELL correctly. So, to mis-spell eduacated as edumacatd is simply a well known English play on words when you want to be a little ironique :)
    great! thx! never heard it b4, thx 4 the explanation!

FRENFR

English
    I like to use really English things, as they prompt questions like this and thus share a little more of this huge language ;) Wouldn't find it in a dictionary!!

Viola_

France, French
    I have the same feeling, that's why i would add that in french it would be:
    je suis culturé (instead of cultivé as culture doesn't exist as a verb/adj)
    thx again!

Punky Zoé

Pau
    France - français
    Virtuel, oui, si on est dans le mode virtuel de l'internet, mais plutôt factice si on est dans le monde du jeu réel. (les billets voire les pièces sont réelles mais fausses !).

< Previous | Next >