playroom

< Previous | Next >
  • e2efour

UK English
    Hi graceren. What do you want us to comment on? You have given a dictionary definition of playroom. In what context and in what different meaning have you met it?

PS I would recommend you not to use kindergarten (at least in the UK). It sounds terribly old-fashioned to me, although American speakers may use it.

Secondly, you wrote house for kids. I don't think you meant this. :)

Languagethinkerlover

English-British and U.S.
    Hi, everyone!
    I think that a "playroom" should be in a house for kids not in a kindergarten. Is it right?
    Hi graceren,

I understand 'playroom' to mean a room in a house that's designated for kids to play in. Sometimes you don't want kids running up and down in a house because they can break things. Usually adults will leave some toys, balls, etc., any ''kiddy" (kiddy is a little informal) stuff in this room. It's a space just for kids.

I'm not sure if you're asking if a playroom isn't found in a kindergarten. I don't think it's impossible...it's just that I usually hear of playrooms being in someone's house.

I hope this helps.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    You are right, that a playroom is usually a room in a house where children keep their toys and play with them.

Any room set aside for children to play in might be called a playroom. There could be a playroom at a kindergarten, but I don't think that is usual. There are usually toys in the classroom, but there not a special room for playing. There might be exceptions, of course.

Added: Cross-posted with Langaugethinkerlover.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    PS I would recommend you not to use kindergarten (at least in the UK). It sounds terribly old-fashioned to me, although American speakers may use it.
    For a discussion of the words used in other varieties of English for what is called a 'kindergarten' in AE see:
    kindergarten, nursery school, or day care center?

The present discussion is about "playroom" and where a playroom may be found.

Last edited:

graceren

汉语
    I just wonder whether there would be a playroom in a kindergarten. And now I think it is unusual in America, right?

Thanks you all!

< Previous | Next >