(pleasantly) surprised

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I was recently thinking about how to translate the following:
"I was quite (pleasantly) surprised to hear the saxophone used in some classical music (which fits in quite nicely, actually!), such as that of Bizet or Shostakovitch. It is rare to hear it used in classical music! Are there any other famous pieces (from classical music) which feature the saxophone?"

Most importantly, I wanted to know how to translate "surprised" here (or "pleasantly surprised"). The translation doesn't have to be two words. I'm actually not even sure which word to choose to translate just "surprised" even, since there are many words to choose from in the dictionary.
Thanks!

• albert_laosong

Mandarin
    我很惊喜的听到萨克斯被用于一些古典音乐,例如Bizet 和Shostakovitch的作品,而且能很好的融入其中。萨克斯用于古典音乐真是很少见!有没有其他一些古典音乐名作也使用萨克斯的?
    There is a chinese word, 惊喜, matching "pleasantly surprised" or "a nice surprise" perfectly. sometimes we also say"又惊又喜",which means "to my surprise and to my delight”, for example:
    清·曹雪芹《红楼梦》第77回:忽闻有人唤他,强展星眸,一见是宝玉,又惊又喜,又悲又痛,忙一把死攥住他的手。
    清 李宝嘉《官场现形记》第二六回:贾大少爷一听中堂托他带信,不禁又惊又喜,忙问:“中堂有什么见谕?”

there are words like 惊讶,惊奇,惊异,吃惊 that means surprised, they are quite similar in meaning and in the contexts they are used in, for example in your sentence, all the four can be used.

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    驚喜 in itself is either a verb or a noun. It is a verb as in '聞之驚喜' and is a noun as in '生日驚喜'.
    I was quite (pleasantly) surprised to hear the saxophone used in some classical music (which fits in quite nicely, actually!), such as that of Bizet or Shostakovitch. It is rare to hear it used in classical music!
    在古典樂,像 Bizet 和 Shostakovich [Mr Google continually suggested 'Shostakovitch', but somehow, I have a preference for the spelling without 't'.] 的作品裡,聽到薩科斯風,這讓我相當驚訝。薩科斯風的聲音,很好地融入這些作品。薩科斯風在古典樂,並不常見。
    [T]here are words like 惊讶, 惊奇, 惊异, [and] 吃惊 that means surprised. [... I]n your sentence, all the four can be used.
    I am not so sure.
    我很惊喜的听到萨克斯被用于一些古典音乐
    驚喜地 is in use, but I am not very comfortable with it.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >