Please advise on the venue

< Previous | Next >

TryingToChange

Arabic
<< Topic phrase: Please advise on the venue >>

Hello all,

I hope that you are doing well. I would like to have your opinion regarding the following, "Please advise on the venue of the session as soon as possible."

I would like to ask someone about the place of a meeting. Is it correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    To advise is to give somebody advice, i.e. to tell him what is best to do, to recommend what to do. Is that what you mean?

I rather suspect that you mean "please tell me where the meeting will be". If so, you should use the word "inform", not "advise". Please inform me of the venue...

(Don't feel too bad - many English speakers make this mistake!)

TryingToChange

Arabic
    Thank you very much for your great help. I actually meant the second. One of my friends has asked me to use it, but it didn't sound right to me.

Once again, thank you.

Can I say "Please inform me of the venue of tomorrow's meeting."

Thank you so much :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Yes, I know it is used that way, but (a) it's very ambiguous in the example the OP asked about and (b) I wouldn't advise foreign learners to try and sound like formal lawyers or civil servants.

...And (c) I think it's crap style.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    I agree with Keith's point (a). Unless something else determines the meaning, "Please advise on the venue of the session as soon as possible" could mean either "Let me know where the session will be held" or "Give me your opinion on where the session should be held".

I was once witnessed a real case of such ambiguity. A mail that read "Please advise when you arrive in New York" was understood to mean 'Please give us your advice (on a previously mentioned subject), when you arrive'. The sender actually meant 'Please let us know when you will arrive'. Much confusion ensued.

Ws
    :)

< Previous | Next >