Please cascade this information

< Previous | Next >

Gruchen

Polish
Hello everyone – my first post here J

From time to time I get forwards from my manager. The original message is written by one guy, who always sends it to three people at my company. He always finishes mails with “Please cascade this information”. I wonder if this collocation is proper, or perhaps that’s just another direct translation from another language ?

• Szkot

UK English
    Witam, Gruchen. When your manager asks you to cascade information, he wants you to pass it on to people at the level below you in the organisation, who can then pass it on to people at the level below them and so on.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In this thread, "cascade" is discussed as an adjective: Cascade Meeting

It is given this meaning:
    I have heard it [=cascade] used elsewhere to describe meetings where management are presenting general company information to staff... the idea being that information about the state of the company and its objectives and aims "cascades" through the company from top level down to employees.
    I suspect that the instruction in the email is related to this meaning. You are being asked to distribute the information to people below you in the hierarchy ~ or perhaps in both directions.

Added: Szkot posted a more concise explanation as I was writing this. :)

Last edited:

bibliolept

AE, Español
    It's business slang and would not normally be used outside that context. It is a correct collocation, from what I understand.

And I'm very glad its use has not infected my office.

Gruchen

Polish
    Thanks Szkot. I am aware of his intentions but the question is whether “cascade information” is actually a correct English collocation. Send out, forward, distribute collocate fine with “information” but “cascade” sounds a bit awkward, doesn’t it?

Szkot

UK English
    Cascade is also used transitively in this way - if a company installs new equipment in one part of the business, it may cascade the older equipment to another part, replacing even older equipment and so on. I am interested that people find this usage strange and/or objectionable; it seems quite natural to me.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Except for the first words in a language ( :eek: ) neologisms are often frowned upon, many times becuase there is a "perfectly good word" that already means what the new one will be used for. "Cascade", as you are suggesting it, does not seem to have such a word that it would displace and seems clear enough even on first hearing. Perhaps that's why it seems "quite natural". Expressions like "hand-me-down" and "domino-effect" come to mind but don't mean the same thing, while cascade has a visual metaphor for things moving sequentially from location to location. I don't immediately dislike it.
    For the "information" sense, the word distribute, disseminate, spread, etc. already have (close to) the intended meaning - the only concept missing is the notion of encouraging each level in the hierarchy to encourage their subordinates to do likewise - perhaps the "cascade" is the active form of the (more passive) term "trickle down" Would we prefer that used as a substitute for this new meaning of cascade
    "Please trickle this down through the organization!"?
    :)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Cascade (verb) in this sense - referring to a series of repeated transfers of information - fits very well with cascade (noun) which is often used to refer to a series of similar things or processes connected one after the other.
    It seems to me like a natural conversion from noun to verb.

Loob

English UK
    I agree with panj: cascade information is a perfectly natural collocation - in the right context:).

< Previous | Next >