Please close the door

< Previous | Next >

Agnès E.

France, French
elroy said:
Pourrait-on dire "Prière de fermer la porte"???
Oui, mais on l'utilise de moins en moins car c'est très autoritaire. De plus, ce n'est pas très correct du point de vue grammatical... même si on l'a dit pendant très longtemps !! ;)

• elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Agnes E. said:
    Oui, mais on l'utilise de moins en moins car c'est très autoritaire. De plus, ce n'est pas très correct du point de vue grammatical... même si on l'a dit pendant très longtemps !! ;)
    Ah bon? Pourquoi pas?

abc

Vietnam, Vietnamese
    Whodunit said:
    Maybe in a train or in a special room you have entered, you've already read the following in your language:

"Please close the door"

I want to know how it reads in your language. I need lots of expressions and in as many languages as possible. It's for a friend. Thanks in advance.
    I'll convert these into Vietnamese font next time. :)

Translations:
    • Xin ddo'ng cu*?a la.i
    • Xin khe'p cu*?a la.i
    • La`m o*n ddo'ng cu*?a la.i
    • La`m o*n khe'p cu*?a la.i

suzzzenn

USA English
    Hi,

Here is another way to say it in Zulu. This one is better for a sign because it is more general. Rather than, "I would like you to close the door", it simply says "Please close the door".

Awuvale umnyango.

awu-....-e = please
    -val- = close
    umnyango = door

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    abc said:
    I'll convert these into Vietnamese font next time. :)

Translations:
    • Xin ddo'ng cu*?a la.i
    • Xin khe'p cu*?a la.i
    • La`m o*n ddo'ng cu*?a la.i
    • La`m o*n khe'p cu*?a la.i
    First of all, thank you very much!

Second, what do those asterisks mean?

And third, what does each translation mean, please?

Inara

Hi Whodonit!
    I got it: Xahish edirem gapini örtun
    (azeri)
    The "sh" in azeri is "S" with a litlle thing like a tale down, I haven t got it on my typeboard
    be well!
    Inara

charlie2

JJchang said:
    French: fermez la porte svp.
    Italian: chiudete la porta per favore.
    Chinese: 請隨手關門 (please close the door as you go)
    Another form that is quite common in Hong Kong : 請順手關門. This is actually Cantonese. The meaning is the same. (Please close the door as you go.)

Inara

Whodunit said:
    Thanks a lot. Do you mean "Xahiş edirem gapini örtun"?
    Yes that is it. But now I have a doubt. You know this "xahish edirem" means "I ask you a favour", maybe for a sign it is better "We ask..." So I suppose that would be: "...edirik..." though I wouldn t bet the spelling is allright. As the topic is not closed yet, let me do some further investigations :)

Whodunit

Inara said:
    Yes that is it. But now I have a doubt. You know this "xahish edirem" means "I ask you a favour", maybe for a sign it is better "We ask..." So I suppose that would be: "...edirik..." though I wouldn t bet the spelling is allright. As the topic is not closed yet, let me do some further investigations :)
    Okay, since you're not quite positive, I'll maintain the old one. And by the way, the topic will never be closed. ;)

abc

Vietnam, Vietnamese
    Whodunit said:
    First of all, thank you very much!

Second, what do those asterisks mean?

And third, what does each translation mean, please?
    Who, you're welcome!:)

~*~

Please = làm ơn; xin
    close = đóng; khép
    the = the definite article is a mystery to the Vietnamese ;)
    door = cửa

Please close the door:

a) Xin đóng cửa lại .
    b) Xin khép cửa lại .

c) Làm ơn đóng cửa lại .
    d) Làm ơn khép cửa lại .

e) Xin làm ơn đóng cửa lại .
    f) Xin làm ơn khép cửa lại .

g) Làm ơn xin đóng cửa lại .
    h) Làm ơn xin khép cửa lại .

Lại in this case can mean again and is also one of those particles that soften the tone of the command/request. Without lại, all of the sentences from a)-f) will sound abrupt and incomplete and not very Vietnamese.

khép means carefully, gently, softly close a door/gate/hands/legs...

The best ones, in my opinion, are f) and h). :)

~*~

We (Vietnamese typists) use the asterisk and other special characters to represent the Vietnamese diacritics when Vietnamese fonts are not available. :)

egilmela

English - Ireland
    elroy said:
    Arabic: ﺏﺎﺑﻟﺍ ﻖﻼﻏﺇ ﺀﺍﺠﺮﻟﺍ
    Hebrew: נא לסגור את הדלת.
    Dutch: De deur sluiten alsublieft
    Norwegian: Lukke døren vær så god.

The software you use to translate her is no good. The correct norwegian translation is this: Kan du være så snill å lukke døren?

I don't mean to be rude, I only like it to be correct

Tabac

U. S. - English
    Kapi kapayiniz, lütfen (no dots on any of the 'i's). There are both types in Turkish with different sounds. These would sound very much like an English schwa. With the dots, the sound is more like English hit or see, depending on stress.

There is a far more formal way of saying it that would be perhaps on a sign near a door. It would come out something like "It is requested that the door be closed". I'll work on it.

Whodunit

Tabac said:
    Kapi kapayiniz, lütfen (no dots on any of the 'i's). There are both types in Turkish with different sounds. These would sound very much like an English schwa. With the dots, the sound is more like English hit or see, depending on stress.

There is a far more formal way of saying it that would be perhaps on a sign near a door. It would come out something like "It is requested that the door be closed". I'll work on it.
    Thank you. I think I'm going to wait for it.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    egilmela said:
    The software you use to translate her is no good. The correct norwegian translation is this: Kan du være så snill å lukke døren?

I did not use any software to translate!!!

I have taken a few Norwegian classes and translated it on my own. I realized I was taking a risk and figured a native or advanced speaker would correct it.

Thank you very much for that. :)

elroy

Imperfect mod
    egilmela said:

Also, just to remind you: we are looking for the equivalent of "Please close the door" that would be found on a door.

Your sentence means "Could you please close the door?" That sounds more like a polite personal request than an official posting.

Whodunit

elroy said:
    Also, just to remind you: we are looking for the equivalent of "Please close the door" that would be found on a door.

Your sentence means "Could you please close the door?" That sounds more like a polite personal request than an official posting.
    That's why I'll perhaps stick with Hanne's version. ;)

egilmela

English - Ireland
    elroy said:

Yeah, but then again, we use "De" and "Dem" if we would be polite. Like this:
    Kan De være så snill og lukke døren? But in english it would have been like this: Could thou please close the door? And that is very old fashioned. And in norwegian we don't use please so much as in english. So, it could be like this in a more informal way: Lukk døren

If you will, we can talk directly on msn [egilmela at hotmail dot com]

elroy

Imperfect mod
    egilmela said:
    Yeah, but then again, we use "De" and "Dem" if we would be polite. Like this:
    Kan De være så snill og lukke døren? But in english it would have been like this: Could thou please close the door? And that is very old fashioned. And in norwegian we don't use please so much as in english. So, it could be like this in a more informal way: Lukk døren

If you will, we can talk directly on msn [egilmela at hotmail dot com]
    Yes, but the point is that is a personal request and not an impersonal posting...

MetalMarianne

Chile, Spanish & German
    If you are using the 'stänga dörren' version in Swedish, you can as well use the 'luk do/ren' in Norwegian - they are both impersonal commands - not quite polite, but not rude either - just impersonal.

(sorry for not having the signs, I'm lost with this keyboard)

egilmela

English - Ireland
    MetalMarianne said:
    If you are using the 'stänga dörren' version in Swedish, you can as well use the 'luk do/ren' in Norwegian - they are both impersonal commands - not quite polite, but not rude either - just impersonal.

(sorry for not having the signs, I'm lost with this keyboard)
    That's ok.
    That's right but you spell it Lukk døren in Norwegian
    and for the swedish stänga - closing | dörren - door ------ closing door
    you have to remove the a: stäng dörren

Whodunit

egilmela said:
    That's ok.
    That's right but you spell it Lukk døren in Norwegian
    and for the swedish stänga - closing | dörren - door ------ closing door
    you have to remove the a: stäng dörren
    So you think it's ok with "Stäng dörren" in Swedish and "Lukk døren" in Norwegian for an official sign? I mean a sign like "Do not touch!" or "Keep off!" ...

elastika

croatia croatian
    i don't know if i am too late but this is how it should read in croatian if it was a door sign:

molimo da zatvarate vrata

or

molim zatvoriti vrata

bok, elastika

Benjy

English - English
    Whodunit said:
    Hi Benjy,

I just counted 30 languages and 3 pages. It looks great, but the world consists of 6,912 languages. :(
    but of those languages how many have a standard written variety?

ps kudos to teanga tiger ;) celtic languages are cool. plus they are a heritage that it would be a shame to loose.

Whodunit

Benjy said:
    but of those languages how many have a standard written variety?

ps kudos to teanga tiger ;) celtic languages are cool. plus there are a heritage that it would be a shame to loose.
    I don't know. I can speak only 0,03 % of them. Haha. Do you like Celtic languages? I do not, because I don't know them. :D

elroy

Imperfect mod
    Whodunit said:
    I don't know. I can speak only 0,03 % of them. Haha. Do you like Celtic languages? I do not, because I don't know them. :D
    You only like languages you know?! :eek:

Camille

France/French
    en français :

veuillez fermer la porte

It's more formal and polite than fermez la porte svp.

< Previous | Next >