Please close the door

< Previous | Next >

elroy

Imperfect mod
US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
Whodunit said:
But I'm not looking for a direct announcement to someone. It should be a sign, so that I don't have to use the direct formal address "vous".
But "fermez la porte" has that anyway. The "veuillez" version is actually more impersonal.

• paluszak

Poland (Polish)
    Jachu said:
    In Polish -

Proszę zamknąć drzwi! = Please close the door!

Proszę = please
    zamykać = infinitive form of closing
    drzwi = doors (in Polish doors are only in plural form)
    I'd rather say:

Proszę zamykać drzwi.

(proszę - please 1st person singular present tense, zamykać - to close in imperfect form, drzwi - door in accusative case, plural; Polish verbs usually have two forms - imperfect, suggesting a repetitive action, and perfect, suggesting a single action)

Another way to say that in a more formal way and with a tint of obsoleteness is:

Uprasza się o zamykanie drzwi.

(uprasza się - to be requested, present tense, impersonal; o - preposition; zamykanie - n. closing, accusative; drzwi - door, accusative, plural)

The meaning is the same, however the second sentence brings to my mind a dusty governmental office with red-tape-weaving bureaucrats.

Cheers,
    Jakub

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    paluszak said:
    I'd rather say:

Proszę zamykać drzwi.

(proszę - please 1st person singular present tense, zamykać - to close in imperfect form, drzwi - door in accusative case, plural; Polish verbs usually have two forms - imperfect, suggesting a repetitive action, and perfect, suggesting a single action)
    Well, that sounds much better to me. (No, not sound - I can't judge, because I don't know Polish) It just sounds better after your explanation. It should definitely be in the imperative. :)

Bulgarian:

Моля, затворете вратата. (Transcription: Molia, zatvorete vratata)
    Thank you very much, Estepona.

Artrella said:
    Sí, NTFS es correcto tu español. If you are using a formal register you say "Por favor (usted) cierre la puerta", if not you say "Por favor (tú) cierra la puerta".... in Argentina "Por favor (vos) cerrá la puerta". :)
    I am a Filipino but in our city (in Chavacano), we say:

"Favor cerra el puerta"

We do not have the 'gender-number'. Odd? :)

In Filipino it is as what NTFS has written.

Whodunit said:
    That proves what I always thought: Filipino is very similar to Spanish, isn't it?
    Not exactly :D Only those who speaks in Chavacano, and as far as I know, there are only 2 cities in the Philippines who speaks the dialect, but we have many words in Filipino that are Spanish in nature like siesta, fiesta, bueno, etc. etc.

Chavacano is known as 'broken-Spanish'.

Whodunit

meili said:
    Not exactly :D Only those who speaks in Chavacano, and as far as I know, there are only 2 cities in the Philippines who speaks the dialect, but we have many words in Filipino that are Spanish in nature like siesta, fiesta, bueno, etc. etc.

Chavacano is known as 'broken-Spanish'.
    Oh, that's mean! :D Interesting, interesting ... Is it like "bad Spanish" or just another dialect or a language per se?

Whodunit said:
    Oh, that's mean! :D Interesting, interesting ... Is it like "bad Spanish" or just another dialect or a language per se?
    Guess when God showered the castellanos in the Philippines, only the two cities were awake during that time :D hehehe... bad...

I don't know, perhaps, like some kind of a 'bad Spanish', or I will not be hearing lots of 'mande?' if my Spanish has been very good.. :D (joke!) But I am POLISHING it now.

Example: Por favor cerra la puerta.
    I don't like - No me gusta (Spanish) - No quiere yo (our dialect)
    I don't know - No se (Spanish) - No sabe yo (our dialect)
    If you want I can give you other samples through PM. :)

proofs

Austria, English/German
    teanga tiger said:
    Dún an doras, más é do thiol é.

That's ' please close the door ' in Irish

In fact, it is "Dún an doras, más é do thoil é." Probably just a 'typo' on Teanga Tiger's part. But, there's nothing worse than to see small mistakes in things that may possibly be on public display!:)

Merlin

Philippines - Tagalog/English
    Whodunit said:
    NTFS suggested "ang". I would have said "Sara ang pinto" in Filipino, but I'm just an absolute beginner of this language, so I trust you. But I'm not sure about "ang". Could that be something else, excpet for "the" or "this" in English? :confused:
    Actually I was wrong. :D It should be "Pakisara ang Pinto" My apologies. Sometimes I have this "fat fingers" that I'm pressing the wrong letters.

Yes you're correct. "ang" is equivalent to "the" and "this" in English.

I feel great actually because someone like you is interested in my language. (I'm just assuming you are.) It's not that hard. We have some words similar to Spanish words. They sometimes differ in spelling. Thank you so much for informing me.:) Any corrections are welcome. I'm not perfect.

Whodunit

Merlin said:
    Actually I was wrong. :D It should be "Pakisara ang Pinto" My apologies. Sometimes I have this "fat fingers" that I'm pressing the wrong letters.

Yes you're correct. "ang" is equivalent to "the" and "this" in English.

I feel great actually because someone like you is interested in my language. (I'm just assuming you are.) It's not that hard. We have some words similar to Spanish words. They sometimes differ in spelling. Thank you so much for informing me.:) Any corrections are welcome. I'm not perfect.
    Thanks for your enlightenment. :) Well, I'm interested in every language, but Tagalog seems to a bit more useful than another minor language. What do you think about my "sara ang pinto"?

Merlin

Whodunit said:
    Thanks for your enlightenment. :) Well, I'm interested in every language, but Tagalog seems to a bit more useful than another minor language. What do you think about my "sara ang pinto"?
    Thank you for your interest in my language. You'll get used to it. Just post your questions are all my Filipino Kababayan will help you. "Sara ang pinto" for me is somewhat imcomplete. It can be "sarado and pinto" (The door is close) or "Pakisara ang pinto". However I'll try to check "sara ang pinto" is I can find something. Gracias!

Whodunit

Merlin said:
    Thank you for your interest in my language. You'll get used to it. Just post your questions are all my Filipino Kababayan will help you. "Sara ang pinto" for me is somewhat imcomplete. It can be "sarado and pinto" (The door is close) or "Pakisara ang pinto". However I'll try to check "sara ang pinto" is I can find something. Gracias!
    Oh my God, I'm by no means sure what you mean by "and". Is that always a typo for "ang" or correct Filipino? Actually it should mean "The door is shut (not closed)".

Merlin

Whodunit said:
    Oh my God, I'm by no means sure what you mean by "and". Is that always a typo for "ang" or correct Filipino? Actually it should mean "The door is shut (not closed)".
    Not again... Why am I always mistaken in this word. "and" should be "ang"
    "Sarado ang pinto" My apologies. I guess my fingers are a bit confused about this word (what a lame excuse hahahaha........) You got me :D

Mita

Chile - Español
    Artrella said:
    Sí, NTFS es correcto tu español. If you are using a formal register you say "Por favor (usted) cierre la puerta", if not you say "Por favor (tú) cierra la puerta".... in Argentina "Por favor (vos) cerrá la puerta". :)
    I want to add something (just in case ;) )
    In plural:
    Por favor (ustedes) cierren la puerta.
    Por favor (vosotros) cerrad la puerta.

Greetings! :)

Whodunit

Mita said:
    I want to add something (just in case ;) )
    In plural:
    Por favor (ustedes) cierren la puerta.
    Por favor (vosotros) cerrad la puerta.

Greetings! :)
    Well, the problem is that I didn't want to have an "oral address" to a person, but an announcement on a sign, so I think your version is one you would say and not write on a sign. ;)

Thank you, anyway.

Mita

Chile - Español
    Whodunit said:
    Well, the problem is that I didn't want to have an "oral address" to a person, but an announcement on a sign, so I think your version is one you would say and not write on a sign. ;)

Thank you, anyway.
    Hummm... sorry!! Sometimes I don't pay enough attention... :rolleyes: I think a sign would say: "Por favor, cierre la puerta"(second person - formal "usted"). It also can be: "Favor de cerrar la puerta". But I like the first one better.

Best regards :)

Whodunit

Mita said:
    Hummm... sorry!! Sometimes I don't pay enough attention... :rolleyes: I think a sign would say: "Por favor, cierre la puerta"(second person - formal "usted"). It also can be: "Favor de cerrar la puerta". But I like the first one better.

Best regards :)
    Ok, I think "Per favor, cierre la puerta" would be the best solution. :)

ericaustin1305

Hong Kong, Cantonese
    charlie2 said:
    Another form that is quite common in Hong Kong : 請順手關門. This is actually Cantonese. The meaning is the same. (Please close the door as you go.)
    Or 請把門關上.
    In Putonghua: Qing ba men guan shang.

Sorry, I don't know how to type the accents.

ericaustin1305

Hong Kong, Cantonese
    Whodunit,

First, thx for your sincere reply in both here and another topic.
    "請把門關上" also means "Please close the door", but it doesn't carry the meaning "as you go".
    The difference between "請把門關上" and "請順手關門" is the arrangement of the verb and object.

Welcome any supplementary / further explanation. I am a beginner in linguistic.

Whodunit

ericaustin1305 said:
    Whodunit,

First, thx for your sincere reply in both here and another topic.
    "請把門關上" also means "Please close the door", but it doesn't carry the meaning "as you go".
    The difference between "請把門關上" and "請順手關門" is the arrangement of the verb and object.

Welcome any supplementary / further explanation. I am a beginner in linguistic.
    So you suggest me to use 請把門關上 for an offical sign?

Thanks for your reply. :)

Mononen from Sweden

Sweden, Swedish
    Yes.
    The swedish official signs often says:
    "Var god, stäng dörren."
    Or perhaps;
    "Var snäll och stäng dörren när du går."
    In english this would be;
    "Be kind and close the door when you leave."
    Both fits perfectly alright.
    /Rasmus from Sweden

Whodunit

Mononen from Sweden said:
    Yes.
    The swedish official signs often says:
    "Var god, stäng dörren."
    Or perhaps;
    "Var snäll och stäng dörren när du går."
    In english this would be;
    "Be kind and close the door when you leave."
    Both fits perfectly alright.
    /Rasmus from Sweden
    Okay, so I assume I can go with your variant. :)

Mononen from Sweden

Sweden, Swedish
    Yes, I actually think that the first would be the best.
    If you ever need translation from english into swedish, please don't be afraid of asking!
    /Rasmus from Sweden

Ljubodrag Gráthas

Serbia Serbian (native), English, Irish (Gaeilge)
    teanga tiger said:
    Dún an doras, más é do thiol é.

That's ' please close the door ' in Irish
    No, this is not correct. You have switched two vowels in the last but one word. It should be:
    Dún an doras, más é do thoil é.

Agus níl mé lánchinnte go bhfuil Gaeilge ar bith agat, mar sin, ach cúpla focal as búnscoil...

That was something written in Irish for teanga tiger

Ljubodrag Gráthas

Serbia Serbian (native), English, Irish (Gaeilge)
    Right, in Serbian, if it is a sign, in Cyrillic and Latin alphabets (we use both)

Молимо вас затворите врата
    Molimo vas zatvorite vrata

Lit. We beg of you, close the door

Whodunit

Ljubodrag Gráthas said:
    No, this is not correct. You have switched two vowels in the last but one word. It should be:
    Dún an doras, más é do thoil é.

Agus níl mé lánchinnte go bhfuil Gaeilge ar bith agat, mar sin, ach cúpla focal as búnscoil...

That was something written in Irish for teanga tiger
    Correct, but you obviously missed this post. ;)

Whodunit

Ljubodrag Gráthas said:
    Right, in Serbian, if it is a sign, in Cyrillic and Latin alphabets (we use both)

Молимо вас затворите врата
    Molimo vas zatvorite vrata

Lit. We beg of you, close the door
    Perfect. Would you put Cyrillic on a par with Latin on ONE sign or do you just use the Cyrillic alphabet for such formal things?

< Previous | Next >