Please join us for dinner as we celebrate the holiday season

< Previous | Next >
My husband and I have just spent 3 months in Paris and are home again. We would like to invite colleagues to a holiday dinner and want to write the invitions in French. Last year we simpley said "Please join us for dinner as we celebrate the holiday season."

Here are two phases I've come up with, but not sure either one is quite right.

"veuillez nous joindre pour feter la saison."

or "Nous serions heureux de pouvoir vous compter parmi nous pour feter la saison.

I know feter has an accent, but don't know how to type it here. sorry.

Can you offer a better suggestion.

Thanks so much,

Cecile

• SaintGerm

France / French
    Hello Cecile
    Your second suggestion seems right, except the end.
    I would say :
    " Nous serions heureux de pouvoir vous compter parmi nous pour fêter la saison des vacances. "
    If you just say "saison", it sounds strange for me.
    Any one else can help?

dewsy

England, english
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

It sounds a bit like you're inviting them for the whole holiday season - reason to get this right :).

I would suggest"Nous serions heureux de pouvoir vous compter parmi nous pour le reveillon (de noël, du 31)

Can I come ?:D

Thanks for your help. The dinner party is Friday, Dec 14th? (have to check a calendar)

We always use the generic "holiday" instead of Christmas, because there are non-christians among those invited and they are university personnel, so-- you know the separation of church and state thing.

Is there any way to say that in French? If not, perhaps I'll leave that part off entirely. They know what season it as after all.

dewsy

England, english
    In that case, how about "à l'approche des fêtes de fin d'année, nous serions heureux de pouvoir compter sur votre présence le 14 décembre
    (damn - I'm busy!)

That seems so wordy. These people don't read French--most of them, so I don't want them struggleing to translate something complicated.

I'm now leaning toward just saying "Nous serions heureux de pouvoir vous compter parmi nous pour diner, le 14 Decembre...." and print it on holiday paper. Does that sound okay?

This is an annual event and most of them have been here before, so doing it in French is a new twist on the same old thing.

I would worry more about it if I were actually sending it to French people.

Thanks for you help, and I'm so sorry you can't make it that night. Maybe next year?

wynne

Québécois, Canadian English
    This is very late... but maybe you can use it in this year's invite? ;)

In Canada, we say "temps des Fêtes", or just "Fêtes".

Of course, since you already used "fêter", I do not recommend using "Fêtes" on its own (*"fêter les Fêtes").

Instead, try saying "Nous serions heureux de pouvoir vous compter parmi nous pour fêter le temps des Fêtes".

< Previous | Next >