Please take side/get side/move a bit sideways

Lun-14

Banned
Hindi
Hi

I am a maths teacher. I elucidate maths question to my students on the whiteboard. When I write a question on the whiteboard, I ask my students to note it down on their notebooks. Today, when I asked my students to note down the question, one of my students stood up and said:

Sir, please take side/get side/move a bit sideways, so that I can easily note down the question. (I'm not able to see your writing, because you're standing right in front of the white broad.

Is the bold part what you would say? Is it idiomatic? If not, what would you say?

Thanks a lot.

• Barque

Tamil
    Could you please move aside/to the side? I can't see the board.

"Take side" and "Get side" are both ungrammatical. "Move sideways" doesn't exactly mean "move to the side" - it means "Move, leading with the side of your body".

Last edited:

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    Could you please move aside/to the side? I can't see the board.

"Take side" and "Get side" are both ungrammatical. "Move sideways" doesn't exactly mean "move to the side" - it means "Move, leading with the side of your body".
    Is this correct?
    Please take a side (either left or right) so that I can note down the question.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Or, "Please move to one side." if it doesn't matter which side they move to, as long as it's out of the middle.

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    Could someone please let me know what wrong with "take a side" in this context is grammatically?
    I'm using "take" as meaning select/opt (#5 in the WR dictionary). Also people say "Take this route", "Take the left turn and then move forward", "Take the shorter path" and many other similar examples.
    Note that I'm using "a" (not "the") to denote that the teacher can take either side (left or right).

I would also be interested to know why native speakers don't class it as being idiomatic.

Thanks,

Barque

Tamil
    Could someone please let me know what wrong with "take a side" in this context is grammatically?
    Perhaps it isn't wrong grammatically but it is still incorrect because it isn't used that way. "Take the side" is also wrong in this context.

There's no point asking why something isn't idiomatic or why something isn't said in a particular way even if it is grammatically correct. That's just the way the language has evolved. This is true of other languages as well.

< Previous | Next >