Pleased as punch

Burnage

Italian
Im translating a novel of Tim O'Brien and there is that expression i can't get:

"Pleased as punch"

context: there's a man, a soldier, who's giving honours to the body of a died man (inhabitant of the village air striked just before).

it some kind of courtesy i think, but i don't know the meaning so i was wondering if some mothertongue can help me please

thanks a bunch everyone!

• tomzenith

English - Britain
    I think we might need a little more - can you give us the rest of the sentence?

EDIT: Here are a few sources on 'as pleased as punch': 1, 2, 3.

Burnage

Italian
    actually the sentence, complete, is "Pleased as punch" said Henry Dobbins.

before that, there's Rat Kiley who bent over the corpse: "gimmie five," he said. "A real honor."
    Strait before all the action starts, with soldiers who find the corpse of the man laying near a wrecked pigpen. They lifted him up and started grabbing his hand offering some words and moving away. Rat bent over him, Henry said the phrase.
    It's all a dream description.

Hope that helps a bit more, thanks tom for your quickness!

tomzenith

English - Britain
    Suona un po' strano a me - 'pleased as punch' e' molto gentile/civile, non e' una cosa che si dice per salutare a uno soldato/un amico. Non suona sincero. Forse e' intenduto in un senso ironico?

Burnage

Italian
    Suona un po' strano a me - 'pleased as punch' e' molto gentile/civile, non e' una cosa che si dice per salutare a uno soldato/un amico. Non suona sincero. Forse e' intenduto inteso in un senso ironico?
    perdonami, avevo dimenticato di dirlo, certo!
    si i soldati stanno facendo ironia! ha un senso in tal caso??

grazie!!!

tomzenith

English - Britain
    perdonami, avevo dimenticato di dirlo, certo!
    si i soldati stanno facendo ironia! ha un senso in tal caso??
    Si, e' possibile. Posso immaginare, per esempio, John Wayne dicendolo in quella situazione.. Che ne pensate gli altri?

(Grazie per la correzione!)

< Previous | Next >