1. Ilmen

    Ilmen Senior Member

    Français, France.
    Hello everybody!

    [Here] is a photography of a small square bale of hay. On this photography you can see that a square bale consists of a dozen of rectangular block of compacted hay fastened with two strings.
    I was wondering how would you call these small square hay blocks that constitute a square bale. In French —my native language— I call them «pli de foin» (literally "fold of hay").

    For instance, is the following translation correct?

    FR: « Il a ouvert une botte de foin {rectangulaire} et pris trois plis {de foin}. »
    EN: "He opened a {square} hay bale and took three folds {of hay}."

    Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. :)
    Thanks. ♪

    (PS: Feel free to correct my English if you find any error therein.)

    [Spanish version of this thread]
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. mgarizona

    mgarizona Senior Member

    Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
  3. Ilmen

    Ilmen Senior Member

    Français, France.
    Thank you for the link. ♪
    So "fold(s) of hay" is a valid name. I made a quick search on Google and it seems that "fold" is seldom used for this (no mor than 76 results!).

    But well, it seems that somebody already asked a similar question in another forum :D:
    Horse&Hound forums: Sections, folds, slices.... how do you refer to a 'piece' of hay?

    Hahahaha, it seems that there's many different ways to call them! I wouldn't have expected that much! :p
    In case the link gets broken in the future, here are some: section, slice, leaf (Scottish?), flaps, wedge, cake, flake, wad, fold, biscuit....

    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  4. Ilmen

    Ilmen Senior Member

    Français, France.
    Well, I was curious to know which one of these names was the most common, so I did some statistics on the 18 pages of the thread whereof I gave the URL above. :D

    Here are the results (I hope you'll enjoy this top twelve ;)):

    #1 — section (of hay) (56 occurrences)
    #2 — slice (of hay) (55 occurrences)
    #3 — biscuit (23 occurrences)
    #4 — leaf (16) [apparently mainstream in Scotland]
    #5 — wedge (13)
    #6 — wad (12)
    #7 — flap (11)
    #8 — cake (9)
    #9 — flake (9)
    #10 — slab (8)
    #11 — pad (6)
    #12 — page (4)
    Plus many much rarer and odd names: fold, square, pack, wodge, cut; clat, book, flack, doofa, tot, sandwich, bag, clap, ledge (of straw), rasher, bit, waif/wafer, wap....

    Quite obviously the terminology vary wildly from one region to another. :)

Share This Page