'plunk' that bottle of bourbon down

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jooney, Dec 30, 2011.

  1. jooney Senior Member

    South Korea

    The following is part of video on "Thanksgiving dinner etiquette".

    Be careful when you plunk that bottle of bourbon down on the table because everybody knows that when the booze comes out, so do the skeletons in the closet.

    What does the underlined mean exactly?

    I'd appreciate your help.
  2. papakapp Senior Member

    English - NW US
    When you heave a rock up into the air so it falls straight down into a pond, it goes "plunk".
    I think it gets the name by way of onomatopoeia.
    Any behavior that emulates this is also called a "plunk".

    So then, if you were to set a bottle of bourbon down on the table with a sort of finality that says "here I am, drink me" then that can rightly be described as a "plunk".
  3. Copyright

    Copyright Senior Member

    American English
    WR dictionary: plunk: verb 2 chiefly N. Amer. set down heavily or abruptly.
  4. jooney Senior Member

    South Korea
    Thank you papakapp and Copyright for the answers.:)
  5. From the same dictionary, in BE we say plonk, not plunk.

  6. Egmont Senior Member

    Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    Not to be confused with "plonk," as a noun: inexpensive wine. That term comes from soldiers' mispronunciation of "blanc" while in France, I believe during World War I though perhaps earlier.

Share This Page