plural form

robinblank

Mandarin Chinese
"There is lot of spice in this curry."

Is the sentence correct? Should not the plural form be used there?“spices”? right?

I am confused with this expression.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It should be a lot, for a start.

Spice, collectively, could be one or more spices. If there is a lot of paprika in the curry*, there is a lot of spice in it. If there are small amounts of paprika, turmeric, cardamom, and nutmeg in it**, there are a lot of spices (five).

* don't use my curry recipe
    ** especially not this one - yuk

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    The sentence is correct (adding 'a'). It means there is a large quantity of some (unnamed) spice in the curry.

You could change it to "There are a lot of spices in this curry" which means there are a large number of different types of spice.

robinblank

Mandarin Chinese
    It should be a lot, for a start.

Spice, collectively, could be one or more spices. If there is a lot of paprika in the curry*, there is a lot of spice in it. If there are small amounts of paprika, turmeric, cardamom, and nutmeg in it**, there are a lot of spices (five).

* don't use my curry recipe
    ** especially not this one - yuk
    Thank you,entangledbank.

And I will try your recipe and taste it. - yuk

The sentence is correct (adding 'a'). It means there is a large quantity of some (unnamed) spice in the curry.

You could change it to "There are a lot of spices in this curry" which means there are a large number of different types of spice.
    Thank you,Keith Bradford.

Both of you meant the same.

If I'm talking about a variety of spices,then"there are a lot of spices in this curry".

But if I'm talking about a large quantity of some kind of spice ,then"There is a lot of spice in this curry".

Right?

Thank you ,I really appreciate your help!

< Previous | Next >