Plural of учитель

DareRyan

United States - English
Hello everyone, another simple question for you all

What is the correct plural of учитель I have seen it used in context as учители and учителя. I would be inclined to use the former as it is more in line with the other masculine plural nouns in the nominative case, however I have seen them both and am curious as to if they are interchangeable or not.

Благодарю Вас!

• übermönch

World - 1.German, 2.Russian, 3.English
    It is certainly учителя!

Some, very rare, masculine nouns follow the rules for neuter nouns - a я and а ending - if the last constant is soft, it's я, if it is hard it's а.
    Don't know why. Глаз (eye) is the only other example I can recall.

EDIT:
    there's also 'слесяр'(craftsman)... and in Bulgakov's Novell "Мастер и Маргаритта" Behemot says 'Primusa' instead of 'Primusy'. Earlier uneducated people wrongly said the plural of every masculine noun as if it was neuter... maybe that way some incorrect forms were retained...

papillon

Russian (Ukraine)
    Funny thing:
    учитель --> учителя
    but
    мучитель --> мучители
    (мучитель, usually figurative speech for torturer)

Go figure!:confused:

Anatoli

русский (Russian)
    übermönch said:
    there's also 'слесяр'(craftsman)... and in Bulgakov's Novell "Мастер и Маргаритта" ...
    слесарь

Earlier uneducated people wrongly said the plural of every masculine noun as if it was neuter... maybe that way some incorrect forms were retained...
    I don't think it's true, it's just a trend to change plural ending for some words.

Both plural forms слесари and слесаря are OK. The form трактора is more common than тракторы but offcially it's the latter.

DareRyan

United States - English
    I've done some research online and apparently both учители and учителя are plurals but the meanings are somewhat different. учителя is meant to convey a teacher or instructor whereas учители is the teacher of a docterine. I only found this in context on one web page so it's validity is questionable. Can anyone confirm this?

Anatoli

русский (Russian)
    УЧИТЕЛЬ, род. учителя, мн. (в знач. "преподаватель") - учителя, род. учителей. В знач. "глава учения, имеющий последователей") - учители, род. учителей.
    Yes, you're right but most people will say учителя, no matter in what sense.

To moderators, can gramota.ru be added to Russian Resources sticky, please?

Jana337

čeština
    Anatoli said:
    Yes, you're right but most people will say учителя, no matter in what sense.

To moderators, can gramota.ru be added to Russian Resources sticky, please?
    Done. :)

Jana