Plural of راوٍ

< Previous | Next >

Saley

Russian, Ukrainian
Hi,

The Hans Wehr dictionary indicates raawiyuuna as the ‘sound masculine’ plural of raawin:
راو rāwin pl. rāwiyūn, رواة ruwāh and راوية rāwiya pl. روايا rawāyā transmitter (esp. of ancient Arabic poetry); relater; narrator, storyteller
However, the general rule stated in grammar books says that the final radical of ‘defective’ nouns doesn’t show up in ‘sound masculine’ plural: e.g. قاضٍ qaaDin > nom. قاضون qaaDuuna, gen./acc. قاضين qaaDiina (this example is from the books listed in the end of the post).
  • Is the form raawiyuuna correct?
  • If so, why no fusion takes place (i.e. not *raawuuna)? Is this caused by the fact that the middle radical (w) is weak as well?
I’d also be grateful if somebody recalled and listed here some ‘defective’ nouns (or adjectives) that can take ‘sound masculine’ plural. The grammar books I use illustrate the above rule with the words for which the dictionaries give only broken plurals, so I suspect that their examples might be a bit artificial.

Sources:
W. Fischer (2002). A Grammar of Classical Arabic (p. 22, 94–95).
W. Wright (1896). A Grammar of the Arabic Language (vol. i, p. 192).

• Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    The plural of راوٍ is رُواة = ruwaah(t). راويون (rawiyuun) is incorrect, it should be راوون (rawuun) - this one is very rare, but I've read it before.

Saley

Russian, Ukrainian
    Thank you. That’s a nice feeling for me as a learner to be able to spot a mistake in a dictionary.
    I’d also be grateful if somebody recalled and listed here some ‘defective’ nouns (or adjectives) that can take ‘sound masculine’ plural. <...>
    I’ve coped with it myself. While APs (= active participles) of Form I (pattern فاعِلٌ) often take broken plurals, masculine APs of all the other Forms that denote humans take ‘sound masculine’ plurals almost exclusively.

So to make sure that the rule for ‘defective’ nouns is accurate, could you please check if I pluralized the following participles correctly?
    • مُغَنٍّ — pl. مُغَنّونَ‎/مُغَنّينَ ‘singer’ (Form II AP)
    • مُحامٍ — pl. مُحامونَ‎/مُحامينَ ‘lawyer’ (Form III AP)
    • مُعْطٍ — pl. مُعْطونَ‎/مُعْطينَ ‘donor’ (Form IV AP)
    • مُنْطَوٍ — pl. مُنْطَوونَ‎/مُنْطَوينَ ‘introverted’ (Form VII AP)

< Previous | Next >